ShraMan OS: Home

Set in Alternate Universe. Don't ask what this is, I myself don't know! But, I want to know everything you guys think about this one.

***

The first time Shravan Malhotra laid eyes on Suman Tiwari, it never occured to him that she would become such an integral and life-altering part of his being. He had no inkling that God sent him his miracle while he was still busy looking at the world wide eyed.

Three years later, in retrospect, he realized with a particular sense of calm that it was always meant to be. He was just frivolous and carefree, young and blind to see through the signs the universe sent him. Now, the blindfold was removed and a life without her seemed certainly accomplished but incomplete. He wished, she could see it too, the possibility of an us for them...

He never wanted something this much.

Shravan reminisced the day he met her, being a rainy monday. He hated mondays, they always ruined the sundays for him, the anticipation of going back to the mundane life bogged him down. And, he hated rains for the simple fact that his mess of a hair never survived the heavy downpours.

He didn't quite luck out in this department, mondays and rains were frequent in The Granite City.

He peddled through the accumulating puddles of water, praying that he would make it on time, at least today. And it's then, that he saw her for the first time, she passed swiftly through the gates of the school, umbrella in hand and waved at the guardian who was freezing under the cloudburst, but managed to smile at her.

She walked ahead but stopped and turned back to look towards the guardian. She approached him and after some push and pull, she thrust the purple umbrella in the guardian's hand and ran inside, getting soaked to the bones.

Despite himself, Shravan smiled. He didn't know whether to laugh at her or admire her for her gesture. How could someone be this insane and selfless, both at the same time?

It was their second day of tenth standard.

The second time Shravan Malhotra laid eyes on Suman Tiwari was at a party, she was standing among common friends and laughing her heart out - he was taken aback by the sight, so much that his cold drink almost fell from his hand.

It had been six months, since they were in the same class and for him, she was the reserved and shy kid who never spoke unless spoken to, focused on her work and always kind to people around her. He never really paid attention to her, never really noticed her.

Until now.

He went to greet her like they usually do in western communities, to say hello with pecks on the cheeks, but she backed off almost immediately, surprising him. He stood there, hanging awkardly, not knowing what to do when she forwarded her hand for a handshake. "Hi."

"Hi." He took it with some reluctance. That never happened before.

During the whole party, he kept observing her. True to her nature, she didn't interact with just anyone and mostly sat down but took everyone by surprise as she set the stage on fire, during one quirky Bollywood song. He was left amazed by her level of energy and wanted to join her for the next one. As soon as the song ended, she was back in her shell and the traces of the wild girl he had seen moments ago, was gone.

During one of their get-togethers, one of his best friends, Eric was on the verge of committing suicide. Staring into the void and the darkness of the night, he was seconds away from carrying out the irreparable. No matter how comforting and encouraging he tried to be, Shravan felt like Eric's lifeline was slipping from his hands and there was absolutely nothing he could do.