07-2: Third Time's Revenge [continued]

Two days later, as evening fell, Madrik was once again standing outside Tailfin's office, his knuckles hanging in the air, only inches away from the solid wood. He swallowed, collecting himself, and knocked hard.

"What do you want?" asked the massive henchman, but Madrik pushed straight past him.

"We found him, Tailfin," said Madrik urgently, "he's not easy to get to, but we know where he is now. Tally's keeping an eye on him."

Madrik waited while Tailfin hesitated.

"Come on, we should go now before we lose him!"

Tailfin nodded to the henchman, who promptly whistled at the gamblers outside the office. In no time, five of them were there, ready to escort Tailfin.

"Do you know what happens to people who mess me around?" asked Tailfin, lethal venom almost dripping from his teeth.

"I do. I have first-hand experience, Tailfin. Twice. I'm not making that mistake again!"

No. Third time's revenge.

Tailfin stood up very reluctantly. He hadn't become the most powerful crime lord on Renryre Island by falling into traps. But today would be different.

"Keep up!" called Madrik as he trotted down the street towards the port.

They soon came to the water's edge, and tracked along the verge while Madrik searched for Talyreina.

"Where the hell did she go?" he cursed under his breath.

It was dark, and the port was already quiet having closed down for the night. Fishing skiffs were tied up along the docks, while pleasure boats were anchored out in the bay, some of them with tenders swaying behind them, and light shining through their portholes.

"Tailfin, you wait here. I'll check that way, maybe one of your lackeys can check the other side?"

Tailfin looked angry already. If he wasn't already suspicious, he was becoming so rapidly.

"You two, don't let Madrik out of your sight," he said, pointing to his lackeys. "And you two, check for the girl down that way."

Madrik feigned an insulted expression before running off, two men close on his heels. He was running as quickly as he could, intending to tire them out. They soon came to a decrepit dock house with several stacked crates lying outside. Talyreina was hiding behind them.

"What took you so long?" she demanded. "He's on that... where's Tailfin?"

"I left him behind to look for you!"

"Well, go fetch him, quickly!"

Madrik eyed the lackeys, then began running back. One of them followed after a brief hesitation, while the other stayed with Talyreina. Madrik ran as fast as he could, and was breathing heavily by the time they reached Tailfin, who was waiting with the biggest of the henchmen.

"She's back there," Madrik huffed. "Where are the other two?"

"Down that way, still looking for the girl."

Madrik breathed heavily for a second, looking around as if searching for a solution.

"We have to go now."

He looked at the lackey that had been running with him.

"You stay here and wait for the other two."

Tailfin looked nervously at the lackey.

"She's down there, sir," he said nodding furiously. "I saw her."