Epilogue: Descent

A.K.A. The Interlude That Wasn't To Be

In the oppressive silence in the vast realm of the gods, he slid across the night sky. An observer on Renryre Island might not have spared a thought for a single speck of light dancing amongst the Restless Stars, but the view from up there was spectacular. The island may have been left orphaned for forty years in a savage ocean, but it was nothing less than a land of endless dreams for the watcher in the sky.

Time stretched – fleeting, to the stranded souls, but immeasurable to the immortal. As always, he gazed down at Renryre Island, lost in endless thought, eyes locked onto lives transpiring below, most of them ignorant of the infinite audience above. He watched in silence, his gaze fixed on one life in particular. He watched with extreme intent. Some, who might in turn have been watching him, may have felt he watched a little... too intently.

"You still staring at her?"

"What? No. Who?"

"The girl you've been staring at ever since she reached an appropriate age to stare at."

"What? I don't know what you are talking about."

"Yes, you do. You're just lucky there's no one for me to report you to up here."

"Look, I really—"

"And what do you think? You saw him, didn't you?"

"Dunno. I wasn't watching."

"You weren't watching? What were you doing?"

"Dunno, really. I was just, thinking..."

"An eternity in the sky with nothing to do but watch, and you have been... daydreaming?"

"What's wrong with that?"

"Everything! Anyway, we were talking about the pervert over there."

"Who, me?"

"Yes. You. The one who still can't take his eyes off that girl."

"Who, me?"

"Yes... you. The pervert."

"Why did you call him the pervert?"

"Because there are three of us, and this conversation might be a little confusing without a little context."

"Dunno, I'm following it."

"Aargh... look, there's me – the clever one. Then there's you – the... intellectually inferior one. And finally we have him. The pervert. See?"

"Stop calling me a pervert."

"Why don't you just go to her? You know, profess your love? Live happily ever after, etcetera."

"What? No, I could never do that."

"Why not? You love her, don't you?"

"Well..."

"You see? Don't you think he should descend?"

"Dunno, really. Seems a bit risky."

"Nonsense! Look, you can do this. It's your destiny. It's written in the... er... on the island."

"You really think so? You think she will love me back?"

"I am absolutely certain of it."

"Maybe I should do it. But, won't it hurt?"

"No, of course not. Just a short drop, then you land. Done."

"Really? I always thought it looked rather painful."

"No, no. Easy, quick, nothing to worry about. Tell him."

"Dunno, I still think it's a bad idea."

"Don't listen to him. It's perfect. The timing is right. If you don't go now, you will regret it for all eternity."

"You know, you might be right. It's just..."

"Do it. Do it. Come on, help me out here."

"Dunno, I would think—"

"Forget his opinion, you know you are ready. Do it!"

He felt a wave of excitement rushing though his body. He pushed himself, eager. He curled up into a ball, allowing the rock to solidify – his shield for the journey. Gently, he kicked himself forward, and his final descent began – to the fading sound of laughter behind him.

Renryre Island grew larger below, the ocean stretching out around it. He started to feel a warm sensation. No, a burning sensation. No, a godsdamned hell of pain as if delivered by the master of timeless torture outdoing himself on his finest day. If anyone could have heard him scream, they would have burst into sympathetic tears for his plight, sharing his pain in uncontrolled symbiosis. Godsdammit, it hurt.

The rock burnt away in searing flames; his skin once young and soft was ravaged by the inferno. Through flame and smoke he could see the island nearing rapidly, the deep green trees of Rordynne Forest broadening in his vision. He wondered for a moment if there was a way to slow down. There wasn't.

"Ow," he said, after an extended period of screaming in excruciating agony.

He managed to stand up, and glanced around at his surroundings. His pain, finally dulling, seemed nothing compared to the hole he'd blasted in the forest floor. A blackened crater with trees smashed and burnt all around.

He inspected his own body for damage. His skin had already begun to heal, the black and red carnage mangled into a wrinkled mess loosely covering his body, hanging unevenly. Aside from that, he was in one piece – nothing broken, nothing lost on the way. He had made it. He had descended from the sky, and landed on Renryre Island.

A woman appeared from the edge of the forest's surviving trees, entering the crater cautiously, searching through the wreckage. It was her – she had come to him! It was his destiny to be with her, he was sure of it.

"Ryleine!" he cried in excitement. "You have come to me."

She looked at him with what he hoped to be an expression of excitement. Though, admittedly, she didn't look to be quite as excited as he had hoped. In fact...

"Who are you?" she asked.

He noticed a man standing next to her. A good-looking man. A very good-looking man. For some reason, he wasn't wearing a shirt.

"Ryleine," said the god, hoping to show a gleaming smile through his damaged lips. "I am your god!"

"Godsdammit," she sighed, her head dropping into the tips of her fingers, "not this again."