Expedition

-Levi-

Silence.

That was what I could only describe our team.

Silence can be a healer; it can be used to kill too.

I'm not sure what kind of silence was this.

Nothing, absolutely nothing.Mikasa never asked about Eren. Not anymore. I popped open the flare gun and pulled the trigger back.

"A titan?"

I didn't turn around.

"Yeah."

I stared at the red flare. Maybe not, I concluded. So much for Erwin's plans. So instead, I let Mikasa catch up with us, who was right behind. She looked distant and lost. She seemed to get my signal and rushed forward. She maneuvered her horse to hasten its steps, and pretty soon she was close to us.

But she didn't slow down.

She charged head on, detaching from our group.

"Mikasa!"

I could see, she wanted to turn, but she jerked back her head. Even Eren looked worried. I sucked in a deep breath.

"MIKASA!"

She brushed her shoulder, as if brushing off someone. Her actions spoke clearly: Shut up.

And then it was Eren's turn.

"MIKASA! COME BACK HERE AT ONCE! LISTEN TO ORDERS!"

But it didn't help. She tugged the reins of the horse, and moved faster.

-Eren-

The fact that Mikasa was the sort of person who would do things rashly if she was mad sent chills down my spine.

As I sped up, feeling the cold air bombarding into my already sticky face, I gritted my teeth.

This was not the time.

There was a titan in the vicinity, and I knew what she was exactly going to do.

Clear enough, she stood up on her horse and without hesitation, launched the grapple hooks on the nearest tree. The sound of metal crashing into wood. The sound of readiness. The sound of war.

The sound of death.

I shook my head from these thoughts and focused back to her horse.

She was gone.