Bloodshed

-Mikasa-

Blood is thicker than water.

How did they know?

Have they ever dripped their own blood and weighed it against water?

I groaned and felt my neck, which instead of that soft fabric is now only the cold sweat clinging to my skin. Emptiness. Which describes me right now.

Focus, Mikasa, I muttered. From my high perch, I could see Eren and that midget trying to look for me.

Don't even try, I snorted, I might die right under your noses.

I silently moved on to the titan, advancing every step.

Ever since Eren and I had argued, we wielded silence like swords and shields. But up here alone, I sat in this tree, my heart hanging open. A warm kind of silence.

I felt the ground shaking more violently; it was close.

I drew out my blades. The most majestic sound before you kill, metal against metal; the potential sound of sharp blades cutting through flesh.

But it still comes with a price. The word hate is a strong word. Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can hut your heart. I sucked in air.

Then, I jumped, and my mind registered subconsciously the velocity, distance and time I need to let my grapple hooks loose.
I swooped in front of the titan. "Over here, dopey face."

It seemed to gaze at me, wondering whether i was a good person, or a titan murderer. It registered me slowly.
Just like how I always do to others.
It dragged its feet towards me; like it had resigned itself to its fate. I gasped. Then in one swift right hook, it knocked me off the branch.

"Shit," i groaned, feeling my forehead. Another bruise. And another one on my heart. I shouldn't have let my guard down. I launched at it, flinging my faith, hope, and life into this titan.

Metal plunging into wood. Wind mad from speeding making my hair feel like a swift falcon. I put my right foot out, landed gingerly against a tree, then forcefully pushed myself outward again. A Titan gone, worries out of my mind. That's the way it worked.

I'm fast. I duck the Titan's surprisingly mindblowing moves. The Titan, tired, laid against a tree.

My turn.

I propelled myself above the exhausted Titan; above, down, strike, win. It was simple. I let go of the two grapple hooks. Thank you, I whispered to them. And for a fraction of a second, I enjoyed the moment of being hung in midair without anything tied to me. I closed my eyes.

Freefall.