The beginning

Roxanne P.O.V

"Please, just give me one more week. I don't have the money to pay off everything right now but I promise you if you'll just give me one more week I can have it for you." Roxanne paced the empty hallway, her hazel eyes stinging with unshed tears that were slowly swelling up as she heard her landlords answer.
"No, I've given you one too many chances to pay me back, Roxie. This is it. I'm kicking you out of the apartment. You have until tomorrow to have turned in your key and what little money you do have. That's final." The older ladies harsh voice never wavered and never rose but it made Roxie feel awful. She felt like crying, honestly, but she couldn't. Not here. Not at work. She quickly swiped at the few tears that fell when she blinked, giving a quiet sniffle as her shoulders slumped. She accepted defeat. "Okay. I'll be out by tomorrow." She sighed, her voice breaking slightly. And with that, she was officially kicked out. She knew it had to happen sometime soon. Even though she'd been working her ass off day and night, she never seemed to make enough. It was never enough. She kept her phone in hand as she decided to go to the bathroom, hoping her appearance wasn't dreadful. She was at work at the moment, actually. She knew it was unprofessional to take personal calls but it had been important. She managed to go unnoticed as she slipped into the ladies restroom, giving the other woman in there a soft, friendly smile for a quick moment before she walked up to the sink, looking at her appearance at the mirror above it. Roxanne Ivory Rome was beautiful. She had long, straight dark brown hair that fell down an inch or so past the middle of her back and hazel eyes that usually sparkled or shined but now were dull and sad. She had full, pink lips that were in a tiny frown instead of their usual smile. Her skin was soft, fair with natural pink undertones, unblemished besides the heart shaped birthmark in her right calf. She stood at the height of 5'6, wearing a net blouse that was covered up by her black suit like jacket, dress pants that stopped half an inch above her ankles, with three to four inch black heels. The outfit hugged her hourglass figure and curves without it being tight or uncomfortable on her. Thankfully, the simple makeup she'd done wasn't smeared or anything. She'd put on mascara, lip gloss, and a faint layer of eyeshadow that looked more natural than anything. Her phone vibrated in her hand and she glanced down at the notification. It was Lilian, one of her close friends. She smiled a bit as she realized it was her just checking up on her. She sent back her reply before she walked back to her desk. She was a secretary at Donavan and Bentley's, a business that had become US wide known as one of the wealthiest company's in the business. She had only seen the men only a handful of time as they were either always in their office or off traveling. Today, they were in their office like usual. She was their personal secretary so she scheduled everything for them, appointments, lunch meetings, etc. It was tiring, honestly, but it paid really well and everyone for the most part was friendly here. So, as she sat at her desk, going back to the work she'd been doing before her call interrupted, she thought about what she had left to eat at home, not realizing that her life would be taking a drastic change tomorrow.