Prologue

PROLOGUE

My long, straight and black hair fell and stopped at roughly around my stomach area when I looked at the large mirror in front of me. The hairdresser had already prepared all the materials she needed in her little black cart beside her.

She examined my hair. "How would you like it today?"

I contemplated a little. Honestly, I wasn't sure what I would achieve with this. One day, I suddenly had the idea of chopping my long, beautiful—but mostly dry—hair. Most of the times, it was heavy and I was annoyed by it. It was also a hassle washing it since it was long and thick.

But I had short hair before. Once. When I was, like, seven. And I was the type of person who liked to go back and look through old pictures of myself and my family. And I would always come across this one picture of myself when I was seven, just arriving home from a day out with my mom who bought me colour pencils at a stationary shop we passed by at, posing in front of a black Nissan car with my eyes squinted at the bright sun that day.

I had chopped bangs that had different lengths that it looked like a rat bit it off, and hair so short that if I wasn't wearing my pink tank top and shorts that day, people would've mistaken me for a guy (I had to admit, I didn't actually have that many girly features in my face while growing up). My hair slightly made it past my ears in that photo and I swore to never have my hair short ever again.

Until today.

"Short," I replied, feeling nervous, "just above the shoulders."

The hairdresser smiled. "Okay."

Then, she started snipping away my hair. I felt the entire thing. I felt the scissors make contact with the ends of my hair. I felt the hair dresser spray my hair with water so she could cut my hair evenly. I felt her cutting more and more until it got shorter and shorter. I was staring at my reflection throughout the entire process. I was both nervous and excited to see my new look.

The hairdresser was making a few last snips after she blow dried my hair and added a serum to make it look shinier and finally removed the fabric tied around me, dusting away any bits of hair that made it onto my clothing or shoulder.

I couldn't believe.

Staring at my reflection in the mirror, I began to wonder who that girl was. The girl with long hair seemed like a distant memory now and I was staring at a whole new person before me.

Nam Jinseo, is that really you?

The hairdresser looked quite content and held my shoulders firmly. "It suits you."

I smiled back, unsure.

"Don't worry," she assured me. The hairdresser who did my hair seemed to be around her early thirties. Her hair was dyed in the colour of blond with the colour of pink at the very tip of her hair. She wore light makeup that highlighted her best appearances, like her cheekbones and her nose. "Do you know why people come and get their hair done?"

I shook my head.

"They want to try something new," she explained. I was still confused. She elaborated, "You see, people always want to change their life a little. We don't get a restart button in life but we can get something similar. In this case, a hairstyle. Why do you think girls cut their hair after they go through a break up?" She giggled softly before looking at my reflection. "You didn't go through a break up, did you?"

I eased up and smiled. "Nah."

She smiled back. "This hairstyle suits you. Now, you can restart yourself. Not entirely but you get my gist."

I stood up from the saloon chair and followed her to the cashier to pay. "Thank you for making it look great."

"No problem." She grinned. "Getting a new hairstyle is like getting a new life."

~Author's Notes~

hi i'm back with a new story after so long !! did y'all miss me? 🤧🤧🤧

this story is a slice-of-life kind of story and i'm really hoping you guys will like this 💗💗💗 thank u !! pls support it well 🤧💓