Chapter 2

I was afraid. Of the dark. Of the people. Of the noises. Of the temperature. Of the future. It was all so frightening. I hid underneath my thin blanket. Humming to myself. Drowning everything out. The freezing metal of my cell bed laying underneath me. Listening to the whistling of the wind coming through the cracks of that one tiny window above me. 'Why. Why did I do that? The dagger took control of me, that's why.'

"Hey. You up?" I called over to the bottom bunk. Where my new prison buddy laid.

"Yup. What's keeping you up?" She asked me.

Her name was Alice. She was somewhere near 9 I think. Her hair was pitch black. We had only spoken a few times when I arrived. But we seemed pretty cool.

Tonight was the first night of me being here. So it was a little weird. I could hear voices coming from the other cells. Screaming. Pain. Maniacal laughter. All different kinds of noises.

A head pops up the side of my bunk. "Hey newbie. How'd you get in here anyways?" Should I tell her? What if she hates me for it? I decided on telling her.

"I killed my twin." Way to make someone uncomfortable.

"Nice. I murdered something once. But that was when I was 2. I had drowned my cat in the toilet." She starts laughing as if she had just told a joke. I shiver.

"A dagger made me do it." I blurted out. I didn't intend on saying that.

Silence filled the air. Other than the shouting and then laughing coming from the other cells. Maybe I did make her uncomfortable. I thought. She had gone down to her bunk bed a little while ago.

"The dagger of a thousand men." I heard her whisper.

"What?!" I thought that was just a story to scare little kids away from weapons.

I leaned over the edge. I saw Alice laying down. Her back facing me.

"Hey. What was that you said?"

She turned over and I saw a blank expression. Like she wasn't even there. She lifted a hand and pointed to my thigh where I was hiding the dagger. Does she know it's there?

"Souls trapped. Thousands of men. Blood lust." It was just a jumble of words leaking out of her mouth.

I didn't know what to do. She wasn't stopping. Words of death and violence kept flying out of her mouth. It was scaring me.

"Alice?! Alice stop it." I was starting to get really frightened. I tried keeping calm as I edged off my bed onto the cold floor. I kneel next to Alice's head. Her eyes were rolled back and her body would jerk. I rested my hands on her forehead.

"Release." I whispered under my breathe.

She had stopped mumbling and her eyes were closed. Her heartbeat steadied and her body stopped jerking.

"Oooh. White-haired girl used some voodoo magic on Alice." Someone had said from the cell across from us. I turned around to see about 10 people watching us. Apparently these people have been in jail for a while now. I scowled at them and they all just laughed.

I stood up and shouted as loud as I could, "You all better shut the f***k up or I'm gonna kill all of you!" I could feel the dagger heat up against my bare skin. Even though I was being controlled, I didn't regret what I had said.

Everyone had backed up, except for a red-haired boy. He looked about my age and way taller. He had greenish yellow eyes. I have never seen anyone with hair and eyes those colors before. I hadn't seen him when I was escorted to my cell. He was probably sleeping or hiding or something like that. He wasn't all that bad looking either.

"Whatcha looking at, buddy!" I exclaimed. He didn't budge. He didn't even flinch. I was starting to get annoyed by his arrogance when I felt a warm, damp hand wrap around my wrist. I turned around to see Alice conscious again.

"What happened?" She asked.

"You had passed out." I half lied. She did pass out but I don't think she remembers why.

"You should go back to sleep." I suggested. She looked weary. She gave little nod and turned back around. I stood up, expecting to find the boy there again I turned around. To my disappointment, he was gone.

Hi everyone! Hope you're enjoying my thrilling story so far. <3 GunslingerGirl24