Chapter 3: Swing High, Underdog

It was a cool Sunday afternoon, much unlike the previous several days, and Cyrus found himself at the swingset with TJ.

"Okay. Now that you've conquered the terrifying slides at the water park, it's time for you to try swinging high again."

"How will going to the water park have magically made my fear of swinging high disappear?" Cyrus asked.

"It was never supposed to make your fear disappear. It wasn't even about the waterslides! I took you there yesterday because some of those slides are real scary. And you know what? You went on the scariest of them all. The point of me taking you there was to show you that you can do anything. Dude, if you can do a loop de loop on a waterslide, you can swing high." TJ said.

"I guess you're right," Cyrus agreed.

"Well, then, what are you waiting for?" TJ grinned. "Swing high, underdog!'

Cyrus sucked in a deep breath, realized he was holding it, then exhaled slowly. He gripped the swing ropes with white knuckles and swung at a normal pace. Slowly and gradually, he increased how high he was swinging at a pace he could handle without freaking out, and soon enough, he was swinging almost as high as TJ usually did. TJ burst into applause.

"You did it! You're amazing!"

Cyrus grinned to himself as the wind whipped against his face.

"I knew you could do it!" TJ exclaimed. " I told you so."

Cyrus laughed. "You always have to be right, don't you?"

"Always," TJ replied. Then, in a voice just above a whisper and more to himself then to Cyrus, he said, "I always knew you could do it."