Chapter 9: Headbands

TJ's knee bounced involuntarily, his fits clenching and unclenching on his thighs. He was sitting next to his mom on the chairs outside of the principal's office, waiting to be called in. They'd arranged to meet with Principal Metcalf the day before, right after TJ told his mom had happened. He fought with himself in his mind about whether it was a good idea as she dialed the number and made the call. In the end, it was decided that they were to have the discussion at 9:30 in the morning, so TJ was missing first period. He wasn't particularly bothered by that.

"TJ? Mrs. Kippen?" Principal Metcalf called them in. The mother and son entered the office, sitting on two padded chairs in front of the large, clean desk they noticed the minute they entered. Mr. Metcalf sat across from them, hands clasped on the light brown hardwood surface.

"It is my understanding that there's been some trouble between you and another student on the 

basketball team, correct?" he directed this at TJ.

"You know about it?" TJ glanced sideways at his mom, with second thoughts. I guess not all of the grown ups here are oblivious, he thought. His stomach clenched. I should have talked to him sooner. What has he heard from passing students?

"I didn't know until your mother phoned me to schedule this meeting. She explained that there was some bullying taking place, but the only information I have is from her. You're here with me so I can hear your side of the story in more detail."

TJ fidgeted in his seat. This was the part he was dreading the most, and they were getting right into it. "I was at basketball practice. Rodrick took my phone, making fun of me 'cause he thought I was texting my boyfriend. Which I wasn't. I don't even have a boyfriend. Anyway, he found some... stuff on it and told everyone I'm gay." he took a breath at the end, after telling the whole story in one go.

Principal Metcalf nodded slowly, processing it, but clearly understanding, like TJ's mom had. He then leaned back in his office chair. "TJ, we have a strict no bullying policy, and ZERO tolerance for anyone stealing another student's possessions, invading their privacy, and spreading rumours about them." he counted on his fingers as he listed the rules Rodrick had broken.

"It's... it's not a rumour, sir. It's true." TJ said, his voice suddenly hoarse, as if his throat was sandpaper.

The principal waved his hand, shooing TJ's statement away. "Whether it's true or not isn't the point. It's against the rules either way. Another student is talking about you behind your back, and along with the other things he did, he needs to be punished."

"I don't want to make things worse. I already have enough people who hate me." TJ picked at a loose thread on the knee of his jeans.

"No one hates you, TJ. And punishing Rodrick will only make things better." he turned to Mrs. Kippen. "I think the best approach to this is to bring in Rodrick and his mother so we can all sort this out and hear his side of the story, too. What do you think?"

"I think that's a good idea. TJ?" she touched his knee, stilling his hand.

"Whatever." he mumbled.

"We just want to help, TJ." Mr. Metcalf said. "I can arrange for all five of us to talk. I'll let you know when I do."

"Thank you, Mr. Metcalf." TJ's mom smiled, and they shook hands. TJ didn't even look up as they left the office.

"That went well, don't you think?" she nudged TJ as they headed to TJ's locker.

"I don't want to talk to Rodrick." 

"It's important that we clear this up. And you probably won't have to talk directly to him. It can be an open discussion."