Chapter 6: Total Drama Diner

"Cyrus? Hey, are you even listening to me?" Cyrus snapped out of the daze he was in. His mom had been trying to get his attention but his mind was elsewhere.

"Sorry, mom. I just got distracted." he apologized, trying to think of anything but the situation with TJ. 

"I can tell there's something on your mind. Why don't you tell me about it?" 

Cyrus looked at his tomato soup. He wanted to be honest with his mom, but he didn't know if he was ready to tell her about his crush on TJ. He figured he could leave out the details about his crush.

"I was hanging out with TJ last week, and-" but his mother cut him off.

"Oh, that friend of yours, TJ? He's such a nice boy,"

"Well, his friends aren't. One kid who was there, Reed, brought a gun. He wasn't planning on hurting anybody, but he still shouldn't have been playing around with it. The police got involved and everything got sorted out, but I'm concerned about who TJ's choosing to hang out with." Cyrus finished explaining.

His mom was silent for a minute. "That's a difficult situation to be in. Is that why you came home in a bad mood on Saturday?" she asked.

"Yeah. I left when I found out he'd brought a gun. I tried to get TJ to leave, too, but..." Cyrus trailed off.

"Sometimes people aren't who they seem to be," she said.

Cyrus looked up. "No, it's not like that. TJ is the one who called the police. He's not like the rest of them." he said.

His mom smiled. "I trust your judgement." she stood up, as she had already finished her soup. "'Night, Cyrus."

"'Night, mom." he replied.

After eating his soup, he brushed his teeth and changed, wondering how much longer he could go avoiding TJ at school.

________________

Cyrus woke up with his emotions all over the place. He cracked open the journal he rarely wrote in, and quickly scribbled what he was feeling.

Recently, I've been having trouble figuring things out between TJ and I. I know that it was silly for me to be upset at TJ for hanging out with Reed at first, but now I have a real reason. I guess it's more accurate to say I'm upset with Reed for the most part, but TJ's still to blame for hanging out with someone who plays with his parent's gun. Good think he stopped talking to Reed. Part of me disliking Reed could be because he looked back at TJ, and the idea that he probably likes TJ, but most of it is the fact that he is a bad influence in general. I think. Maybe I'm just acting weird because I have a crush on TJ.

Cyrus closed the notebook and slipped it into the top drawer of his desk. He pulled the straps of his backpack over his shoulders and ran a hair brush through his messy locks a couple times, changed his pyjama bottoms to jeans, and pulled on a pair of sneakers. School was uneventful. TJ was sitting alone once again, as he had been every day since the incident with Reed and the gun. Cyrus had tried several times to talk to TJ but his loyal body guards Buffy and Andi made sure he didn't.

He made his way to the spoon to get some tater tots, but by himself because Buffy was with Marty and Andi was with Amber. Cyrus slid into a seat and dropped his backpack beside him. Amber came over and out her hands on the table.

"Hey, Cyrus, what'll it be? Tater theatre again?" she asked, flashing him a bright smile. 

"You know it," he returned the grin. "And can I get a chocolate milkshake? Or did the machine break again?" he teased.

Amber rolled her eyes. "This isn't McDonalds. Our machines actually function." and with that, she strutted away with mock sass.

Cyrus took his phone out and scrolled through instagram while waiting for his food. He liked some pictures of Andi and Amber that they had posted from the virtual reality place in town. He noticed how there were no posts from TJ in his feed. Usually when they hang out a lot, they take loads of photos and Cyrus later sees them in his feed, but since they hadn't talked in a while, there were no pictures of them. In fact, TJ hadn't posted anything at all the whole week.