I Got Nerve

"Mama?" Miley asked, completely shocked, "Is it really you?"

"Yes'm, it's me, sweet pea."

"But...this...you're...you're 'sposed to be gone, Mama."

"Oh, sweets, I'm never gone." Susan Stewart smiled and tucked a strand of hair behind Miley's ear, "I'm always with you. Wherever you go, I am always with you baby girl."

The brunette smiled and wrapped her Mother in a hug, "I miss your hugs, Mama."

The woman nodded and kissed her daughter's forehead, "You need to wake up now, baby girl. Your family is worried 'bout you."

"Yes'm." The brunette said, nodding, "But wait...did Lil really kiss me? Or was I dreamin' that too?"

"Why don't you wake up and find out?"

Miley nodded and shut her eyes. Stirring slightly in her sleep, her eyes flickered open and she smiled at the sight of her family.

"Dang flabbit, I'm gonna kill that woman." Robbie said, "I'm sorry for sayin' so Lilly, but that lady can't goin' on hittin' people whenever she wants."

"But Miley hit my Mother." The blonde pointed out, "How is that different?"

"Because your Mama was insultin' Miley's family." The older cowboy pointed out, "Your Mama slapped Miles just 'cause she was tryna help ya. Does that seem fair to you?"

"No, I suppose not."

"Please don't try to get'er back, Daddy." The brunette pleaded, getting the attention of the family (and Lilly). They ran over to her and suffocated her with hugs.

"Sweet niblets, Miley Ray Stewart! You scared the hell outta me!" Robbie shouted, kissing his daughter on the forehead.

"I'm sorry, y'all." Miley apologized, raising herself up, "I didn't mean tuh startle anyone."

Lilly scooted closer to her and stared down at the brunette, her brown eyes full of tears. She leaned in and the cowgirl bit her lip, is she going to kiss me?

Instead, she wrapped her arms around the girl's stomach and pulled Miley into a tight hug, "Thank goodness you're okay!"

The cowgirl giggled, "You were real yellow-bellied 'bout me, weren't you?"

Lilly stared at her friend blankly, and the brunette rolled her eyes, "You were scared for me."

"Wha—? Pfft. Please, I was not... okay fine I was! Why is that such a bad thing?"

"It's not." Miley said, smiling lovingly up at the blonde, "I just think it's sweet, is all. You sure do care for me, huh?"

"Of course I do, you're my best friend! What a ridiculous question to ask, Miley."

"I don't think that's what she means." Jackson piped up from the back. Biting her lip, the brunette nodded and nudged the girl playfully. The blonde was frozen on the spot, not sure what to say.

"It's alright, missy." She reassured, "You can deny it all you want, but I know you. I know that look."

"L-look?"

"Yup. It's that same look Jackson gave to Luanne's best friend."

"Betty Sue..." He shook his head, "What a piece'a art she is, eh Miley?"