iii. ANGRY LIZARD

☆彡

☆彡

EVERYONE WAS GATHERED in Freddie's family home for his birthday: his family, Mary's father, and the rest of the band. It was almost surprising how the lot of them managed to fit in one room. But despite the crowd, it was nice meeting everyone — Mary's dad was absolutely hilarious and Freddie's little sister was very reminiscent of her brother, though a bit more demure.

Somewhere amidst the conversation, they had gotten onto the topic of dates, something Stephanie despised talking about. Maybe it was because she was always alone, but she didn't like to be reminded.

"What about you, Stephanie?" Mary's father signed to her, Mary spoke aloud as he did so. "You've got anyone special?"

All eyes seemed to turn to the girl as they awaited an answer. "Not yet," she said and signed back to him. "Maybe one day."

"That day might be closer than you think, you're a very pretty girl."

In her reply, she didn't speak out loud. She merely signed so no one else could understand but him and Mary: "I wish other people felt the same..."

Though no one else understood what she had said, they watched as Mary and her father's faces turn solemn. The older man reached across the table with his arm out and his hand palm-side up, an open invitation for Stephanie to take it. She laughed lightly as she put her hand in his.

Using his free hand, he put his fingers in front of his face before rolling them down and into a fist — a way of signing the word 'beautiful.' As he completed the word, Mary said it aloud with a kind smile. The father let go of her hand. Stephanie put her fingertips to her chin before bringing them downward: 'thank you.'

Freddie's mother returned from the kitchen with a giant scrapbook, which Freddie begged her not to show his friends. Of course, she didn't listen — she wanted to tell everyone the story of young Farrokh and his childhood in Zanzibar.

"Have a look," she said to group as she handed the book to Mary despite her son's fervent protests. Fortunately enough for Freddie, the phone began to ring which gave him an excuse to leave the room as fast as he could.

Everyone gathered around the photo album as they scanned through black and white pictures of young Freddie. There was one photo of him with boxing gloves and athletic shorts — a sight that was odd to picture on him now.

Stephanie sat back as she watched everyone scramble to find the most embarrassing picture of their friend they could find. Her mind was too occupied with one thought to be bothered with another. She was still feeling terrible about what she'd said to Roger and she desperately wanted to apologise. He was only trying to make sure she was okay and she'd completely shut him out. Stephanie needed to apologise.

She took in a deep breath and stood up from her seat. She walked over to where Roger sat a little too closely next to Freddie's little sister and tapped him lightly on the back. He turned around with a confused look on his face and she opened her mouth to speak before Freddie came back in the room.