Chapter 34

"Kimba I don - I can't do it." Cheryl murmurs, her grip on my hand painfully tight. She turns further into me, her hand moving up to latch onto my upper arm.

"You can, babe. Hey, look at me," Raising her head, her big, glossy eyes stare into mine, practically begging me to just let us turn around and go back, "I won't let them get to you. I promise babe. Plus we have security, they won't hurt you Cheryl."

"It's just, how did they know? We didn't even know we'd be coming here until this afternoon!" Cheryl raises her voice, her eyes darting in the direction of the cameras between us and the door.

"I don't know..." I sigh, slightly apprehensive myself "But they can't get to you, we won't let them."

"They'll start on you too, you know."

"I -" I'm interrupted by a slight tapping on the window, our driver peering through the tinted glass.

"You girls ready?" His voice booms, visibly startling Cheryl.

"Yes, we're ready."

"Kimba -"

"Cheryl, you don't want them to scare you anymore? Here's your chance."

Cheryl lets out a large breath of air, tugging on the hem of her dress. Just before the door opens, I squeeze her hand, making her eyes meet mine again.

"I care about you too much to let them hurt you, Cheryl, I promise."

----------

The restaurant itself is quite busy, and I smile appreciatively at the waiter who guides us towards a quiet, dimly lit table.

"Is there anything I can get you ladies?" He clears his throat, ushering us towards the quaint table in the corner of the restaurant.

"Just the drinks menu to start with, thankyou." I hear myself say, as Cheryl is still yet to utter a sound.

"It's a nice place here, have you been here before?" Cheryl just nods, picking up the menu that is placed in front of her.

"As- a friend used to take us here sometimes."

"You can say his name you know Cheryl, I understand."

"I just...didn't want to ruin anything. Though the mosquitos out there are doing a good enough job." She mutters, shooting a worried yet angry glance at the window over the other end of the restaurant.

Reaching across the table, I clasp her hand gently within my own.

"Don't worry about them, babe. They'll get bored and leave soon enough." With a sigh, Cheryl rolls her eyes.

"You'd think so, but they're not normal, intruding on people's lives like they do." Cheryl tuts and squeezes my hand softly.

"Anyway, we should talk about something else. Don't give 'em the satisfaction."

"...You'd think for someone with so many clothes, you'd have your own room for them or something." I laugh, holding my glass towards my lips.

"I do! You just haven't seen it yet!" Cheryl shoots back, her eyes twinkling as she giggles along, the frustration and worry from earlier vanishing with every smile she presents.

"Trust you" I roll my eyes, taking a swig from the expensive wine glass resting loosely between my fingertips. Cheryl smiles, leaning across to link her fingers with my free hand.

"Thank you for this."

"You don't need to thank me...It was your idea!"

"No, I mean...For everything." Cheryl whispers, smiling down at her plate like a teenager on her first date. With a gentle squeeze of her given hand, I smile back.