19

*one month later*

cassie

to think that i've been together with brandon for a month now is a weird thought. i didn't think anything would happen between us because of kayla and social hierarchies, but here we are, sitting in my living room as we watch how the grinch stole christmas.

brandon has his arm around me and i'm cuddled into his chest when i truly believe that i have found the epitome of comfort.

we've been spending a lot of time together recently, especially because our friends are getting closer, too. maddy and zion have been on a few dates— even when her head was all fucked up from the damned screw, which is doing much better now. austin and dee went on a date, which dee still hasn't stopped talking about. but nick and emma seem to be the pair that don't want anything romantic at all. they're just best friends, and seeming to become as close as all of us.

suddenly i feel brandon's hands tickle my waist, which totally distracts me from the part where cindy-lu gets sucked into the giant hole of gifts at the post office, unknowingly near the grinch.

"stop it," i giggle, squirming away from him as i try and watch the movie.

my objections only seem to make him want to tickle me more. his hands go to the nape of my neck and my shoulders snap up to try and get his fingers to leave. he laughs as he watches me try and get him away, which only makes him laugh more. i move my eyes away from the tv screen and try to push him off.

"you're never winning this," he tells me with a raised eyebrow.

i groan in playful frustration and do my best to shove him off. the best case scenario would be him falling on the floor so i can get him back, except he won't have anything soft underneath him. cruelty, i know.

brandon's hand slips a little but he manages to catch himself, a gasp escaping him as he struggles to stay up now that i've started fighting back.

"you good there, hun?" i smirk. i use my knees to try and push him away as my hands grip on to his shoulders.

"shut up," he teases me. he's starting to get breathless and i know that my victory is in the very near future.

after about another thirty seconds of us laughing and pushing back and forth, i finally get in one good shove that sends brandon onto the hardwood floor. he lands with a small thud and a groan and he curls up into a little ball.

"HAH," i shout. "i knew i'd win."

both of us lost our breath and we sit there as we pant and laugh at how stupid the two of us are. "i really thought you would lose that one." brandon says.

i shrug my shoulders and sprawl myself out on the couch, taking up all the room that i just not-so-gracefully won.

"oh yeah, just rub it in my face." brandon rolls his eyes. he looks uncomfortable on the floor but he knows there isn't any way i'm making more space for him.

my phone starts ringing from across the living room and brandon pops up and races to go grab it. as soon as it's in his hands i know that i'm going to have to put up a fight to get it.

"brandon, pleaaaase let me have my phone." i say as i stretch my arm out for him to give it to me.

"hmm," he says, looking at the caller ID. "it's your mom. should i answer it?"

i roll my eyes and stand up. "give it to me please." i hold my hand out for him once again.

"wow, i love hearing those words come from you." he smirks.