1

Emily

"It's okay sweetie. We're going to take you to someone who's going to take really good care of you. Okay?"

I stared up at the lady. Her teeth were too white, and her long red nails dug into my shoulder as we walked away from my house. I didn't know why there were so many policemen here, daddy always told me policemen were bad men and I wasn't allowed to talk to them. 

We got into her fancy black car. There were more buttons than I had ever seen in my whole life. I pressed one, and watched as the window rolled down. The policemen were talking to daddy, and he had silver bracelets around his wrists. They weren't very good bracelets, because he can't move his hands. Daddy looked over at me and I saw him do his angry face, so I fell back, hiding from him. The lady with the long red nails put her hand on the button again, and the window went back up.

"You don't have to be afraid anymore sweetie. It's all going to be okay."

The lady took me to the hospital, but I didn't want to get out of the car. I wasn't allowed to go to hospitals because if I did they would know I was bad. The lady made me though, and I sat on a long white bed until another lady with blonde hair came in. 

"Emily, it's very nice to meet you, my name is Aimee and I'm a doctor. I'm going to give you a check up, okay?" 

I nodded up and down, and she looked in my mouth, then my ears, then my eyes. I stood on a scale like the one daddy had in his bathroom, and she wrote everything down. 

"Okay, now I'm going to look at your back, okay?" 

"No!" I backed up and shook my head from side to side. "No you can't see." 

"It's okay, Emily. She's a doctor, she's allowed to." 

"NO!" I wasn't supposed to yell at grown-ups, but daddy always told me if I showed anyone the hurts would be worse. "You can't see!" 

"Alright, it's okay. I don't have to see." The doctor smiled. "How about I show you the spaceship we have here?" 

"A spaceship?" 

"Yeah, it's really cool. Come on, I'll show you." 

I went with the doctor, and she showed me a weird machine with a lot of TV's on it. 

"Do you want to try it?" 

I nodded, and she helped me onto the bed. The spaceship made a lot of noise, then the doctor told me to get off and she showed me that it took pictures of me. It didn't look like me, but she gave me a hug and I went with the nice lady to her car again. 

"Okay, Emily, we're gonna go see some very nice people." 

We drove for a long time. The fancy car was going really fast, faster than my daddy ever drove. He always says that if he drives too fast the policemen will stop him, and take him away. It was nighttime when we finished driving, and we pulled up to a really big house. The door was so big I couldn't reach the handle, but the lady knocked on it. 

I didn't know why we were here, daddy always said I wasn't nice, so why was I meeting nice people? I wished today was seven counts so I could take a bath, but it was only six and my shirt smelled bad. I looked down at my boots, one had a hole in the side but if it didn't rain it was okay. Daddy always said I didn't need new ones because I didn't need to go outside. 

I kept my head down when the door opened, because daddy always says I'm not allowed to look unless he tells me to. It was a man with brown shoes, and the lady with the red nails put her hand on my shoulder again. I wished she wouldn't do that, her nails were too sharp.