Chapter Twenty - Four

Not edited

Another week had passed since Derrick's court trial, and Thomas still hadn't woken up from his coma. There hadn't been any declines in Thomas's health; although, there hadn't been any improvements in it either.

"Do you think that if someone kisses him he'll wake up," Dane pondered as he leaned in closely over Thomas's face, "You know, like how they did in Snow White, but reversed." Dane asked, causing everyone to look at him strangely.

"Are you offering or something?" Lee questioned in disbelief. Dane shot him an annoyed look.

"No, I wasn't talking about me. I was suggesting that Natalie do it."

Sara took a bite of her hamburger, watching the scene before her unfold. "Dane, this is like the third craziest thing you've said all day." She pointed out, "are you bored or something?"

Dane ignored her. "We'll never know if it actually works if no one does it." He said like it was the simplest thing in the world.

She swallowed another bite of her burger, groaning slightly as Dane continued on about the whole Snow White thing. "Goodness, I wish you had a mute button."

"And I wish you had a muzzle, but you don't see me complaining." He shot back.

At that moment, Charles stepped into the room, ending the discussion. "I really wish you two could learn to get along a little better. You both act like children. Grow up." He grumbled.

Sara rolled her eyes and Dane did the same.

"Shut up, Charles, no one asked for your input."

Sara pointed her burger at her brother. "Yeah, shut up, Charles." She copied Dane.

"See, we're getting along already." Dane replied sweetly and Charles shook his head.

"You're both a pain in my butt." He said under his breath. "So how's Thomas doing?" He asked.

"The doctors still have hope. He's been reacting to more stimulation lately, so we know he's in there somewhere, which means he isn't brain dead. The doctors have done everything possible that they could do, now we're just waiting for Thomas to do what he has to do and wake up." Lee replied. Charles nodded.

"Everyone else doing okay?" He asked, looking at Sara and Thomas's sister Penelope.

"We're good." Sara answered.

Penelope waved.

Charles turned his gaze to Dane. "Where are Natalie, Jack, and Kaitlyn?"

"Jack and Kaitlyn went back to the hotel for a little while to rest, and Natalie had to run to the bakery. She's supposed to be bringing back some snacks in a while." He replied.

"Alright. How long are you all staying?" Charles asked.

Sara pushed herself up from her chair. "When Natalie gets back I'm going to the bakery for a while to run it until closing time." Sara commented.

"And i'm going with her." Lee added.

Penelope shifted in her chair. "I don't want to leave, but I have school tomorrow and my mom says I can't stay up at the hospital all night, but I'll be back in the morning." She promised.

Dane scratched the top of his head. "And I'm leaving as soon as Natalie gets back. It would be nice to sleep in a bed for more than four hours tonight." He looked over to Thomas as he continued to talk, "but Natalie is staying the night again. She'll take good care of him." He trailed. "What are you planning on doing?"

Charles sighed. "Well, nothing now that you all seem to have it figured out. I guess I'll grab something to eat and head back to the hotel. Make sure to let Natalie know to call me if anything changes throughout the night." He said.

Dane nodded. "Of course, see you tomorrow." He waved to his friend and manager. As the door shut, Dane, Sara, Lee, and Penelope all turned to each other. Dane was the first to speak up, breaking the silence.

"Sooo, whose turn is it to buy the drinks this time?"