Chapter Six

After leaving the hospital, Two-Bit and I were waiting for a bus ride back to our neighborhood.  He had gone across the street to buy some cigarettes from the gas station, leaving me to sit at the bus stop.  As I looked down the street for the bus, I held Gone with the Wind close to me in shaky hands.  I couldn't stop thinking about the fight that would happen that night.  I hadn't been in too many rumbles, and they were usually over some little dispute, but never anything like a murder.  I shuddered. Because I was the one who had killed that Soc, I knew I was bound to get some hell from his buddies. He had looked pretty popular.

I suddenly felt a piercing pain in my stomach, but it wasn't like a sting. It was the feeling I hated most— hunger. I remembered the fact that I hadn't eaten anything since we went to Dairy Queen in Windrixville. (Just before everything went wrong....  I shook my head and tried not to think about that.)  I'd just have to make myself something when we got back.

I leaned back against the cool bench, a slight breeze blowing through my hair.  A deep red Corvair drove down the street way above the speed limit, and I could see a few Socs in the front seat standing up and hollering.  I hid my face in the collar of my buttoned up jacket until I was sure that they were gone. Never again did I ever want to have to deal with another Soc in my life—they'd probably make it into some kind of hell. But that longing was quickly squandered by the memory that tonight was the rumble, and Ponyboy wasn't going to be there. It was the first big fight of several where I wouldn't have him to have my back. The thought made me frown deeply, and as a chilly wind blew and froze me to my core, I longed for Two-Bit to return and provide me some company. 

Finally, my wish was granted when I heard him whistling the theme song to some cartoon as he walked outside.  He was twirling two cigarettes between his fingers and smiled when he saw me turn to look at him.  "Miss me, Johnny?" he said as he approached me.  "You look like you've just seen a ghost.  Relax, kid.  Here."  His expression softened and he handed me a weed, which I gladly took.  "Bus'll be here any second."   Despite his wise-cracking, his demeanor seemed less cheery than usual, and I gazed up at his face.  His expression was serious for once, his eyes cold and his lips pressed tight.  I wanted to ask him if anything was the matter, but my voice caught in my throat and no sound came.  So we waited in silence until the bus came by, and once we had sat down, Two-Bit said something.  "You know something, Johnny?"  He didn't wait for my response, knowing that he wouldn't get one, and continued.  "We could never get along without you.  If you were in Pony's place, if you were dead..." he stopped to swallow, "... I don't know what we'd do."  The words made me feel fuzzy inside, because I knew that it was true.  The boys in our gang were the only ones who had ever shown any kind of affection towards me, besides Cherry Valance, I guess, so when they told me that they cared, I actually believed it.  "But Pony," Two-Bit went on, "Pony ain't like any Greaser I've ever met, or any Soc for that matter.  He's quite the character, but the best one.  He's unique.  Him and his dreamin', his drawing...."  He paused and rested his chin on top of his clasped hands.  "I don't know how I'd be able to take it if he were dead....  He's a good kid, you know?  You keep us together, Johnny, but he gives us life, he gives us this... light.  I know that Darry and Soda wouldn't be able to take it, Soda'd go mad." 

His talk about Ponyboy dying made me sick to my stomach, and I suddenly lost my appetite.  If Two-Bit was talking grim, that meant that things were really bad.  I tried not to let my lip quiver and nodded before staring out the window for the rest of the ride, and to my relief, Two-Bit didn't say another word.  We got out at our stop in silence, and during our walk back to the Curtis place, I occasionally saw Two-Bit open his mouth to say something out of the corner of my eye, but he didn't. 

As we walked down the sidewalk, I saw a small, tuff car parked in the grass, and out stepped that Cherry girl.  Her silhouette emerged from the background of the sunset, and her face was illuminated by a dim street light.  She gave a sweet smile when she saw us and said, "Hey, Two-Bit, hey Johnny."

Two-Bit nodded in reply.  "What's up with the big-times?" he asked.

She sighed.  "No weapons.  They'll play your way, it's a fair deal."

"You sure about that?"

"Well, Randy told me, he knows for sure."  I vaguely remembered that kid Randy, and shuddered at the memory of the park incident.

He momentarily grinned and said, "Good deal.  Thanks, Cherry," before slipping by her. 

I went to follow him, but Cherry touched my arm.  "Johnny, wait a minute.  I want to talk to you." 

I anxiously turned to Two-Bit, who nodded, meaning that he'd wait for me.  He stood off by a tree and lit up a new cigarette.  "What is it?" I asked Cherry, turning to face her.

She hesitated for a moment, before asking, "I read the paper this morning.  How's... how's Ponyboy?"  She looked deeply upset when she said his name, and for a second I felt like I could relate to her.

I hunched over a little and shoved my hands deep into my pockets, my fingers playing with some loose threads inside.  "He ain't doin' so good....  He's unconscious, in a coma, I think...."  My mind flashed back to when his heart rate spiked, and I bit my tongue to keep that information to myself.

Cherry winced when she heard that and looked down at the ground.  "Oh..."  She kicked the dirt, mucking up the tip of her white sneaker.

I began to shake a little, before blurting out, "Hey.  I... I'm real sorry for killing Bob.  I just...."  She looked up, her eyebrows raised.  "I did it to save Ponyboy.  They were drownin' him, and I just... couldn't let him..."

"I know," Cherry whispered.  "I get it."

"But now it probably was all for nothin', he's gonna die anyways," I said, letting my hurt that I had tried to suppress enter my tone of voice.

She shook her head.  "No, Johnny, you can't think like that," she said, and I could hear emotion in her speech.  "Ponyboy, he, he's going to live, I know he is.  He's strong, he'll make it through this."  She gave a small, reassuring smile, and I forced myself to return one.

"Yeah, he is....  You're right," I said, turning to leave.  "Thanks for all your help, Cherry, we appreciate it.  I appreciate it." 

She grinned and crossed her arms.  She looked awful pretty as the wind blew her red hair across her pale forehead.  "It's my pleasure, Johnny.  You're a good guy... you should stay that way.  I'll see you around."

I gave her one last grin.  "See you."  I swiftly made my way back to Two-Bit, who was twirling his cigarette precariously between his fingers.  "Let's go, man," I said.

"What'd she have to say?" Two-Bit asked, putting an arm around my shoulders.

"Nothin' much.  She wanted to talk a bit."  I smirked and hurried along to keep up with him.  As much as my anxiety tried to convince me that Ponyboy would never wake up, Cherry's words had somewhat convinced me that maybe he was as good of a fighter as he is in rumbles when it came to him against his own body.  Maybe he would survive.  That tiny thought kept a half-smile on my lips all the way until we came back to our neighborhood, and I think that Two-Bit could tell that I was in a better mood, because he was grinning, too.

Sorry that this took so long to write!  I took a break from Wattpad for a while to focus on school, but I hope to continue writing consistently!  Thank you very much for reading, and have an amazing day!

- Leah 💕