Chapter 11

TRIS POV

My trial is going to be much different from last time.

Outright, I can tell by the room I am taken to. It is a private one, not even remotely similar to the top floor where there is almost a crowded theater surrounding a stage where people are interrogated. This one looks sleek, not cramped, though the room is still small. The wide window makes me feel somewhat free among the falling snowflakes. There is only a table and two chairs in here, and I am handcuffed to one of them.

I sip from the cup of water I was given and tap my foot impatiently. The interrogation will take some time, and I am eagerly awaiting breakfast in the meantime. It isn't that it wasn't offered; I refused because the truth serum tends to not sit well in my stomach, from what I remember. Plus, I would rather just get this over with.

Jack Kang seems to feel otherwise, based on how long he has kept me waiting.

The door clicks open, and Kang is escorted into the room by two guards, who maintain their positions at the door. Two other men—witnesses, maybe? Judges?—stand next to the Candor leader as he takes a seat in front of me.

"Tris Prior," he greets, though it isn't very welcoming with the way his eyes are sagging from exhaustion. "We meet again."

I press my lips into a cordial smile. "Mr. Kang," I reply.

It is difficult to hide my distaste. Last year, he acted without comprehension whatsoever. Playing down the Dauntless-Erudite attack on Candor, abiding by Jeanine's terms, even handing over his faction to be used as mindless drones completely. Whereas I used to view him as an important person, I have no respect for him anymore.

Now, I have to put my faith in him to make the right choice.

"Let's get down to business, shall we?" He motions to one of the men; I recognize him as Niles, who interrogated me before. He steps forward to wipe my neck with a cold alcohol wipe. I gulp uncomfortably and try to distract myself.

"Don't take this the wrong way when I say this because I appreciate it," I say, "but why is my interrogation private?"

Kang taps on the device he has laid on the table. Pulling up my file, I presume. "Ahh. Well, considering you have been arrested for hijacking sensitive information from two factions, it wouldn't be wise to carry this out in front of others."

Understandable.

I bite my tongue when the needle slides into my neck, prompting a sharp ache. Rubbing the spot, I blink at Kang as everything in me becomes heavy with truth serum.

"You know the drill," he begins. "We must ask some basic questions to ensure that the serum is working."

I nod.

"What is your name?"

"Beatrice Prior."

"How old are you?"

"Seventeen." Sure doesn't feel like it.

"What faction do you belong to?"

These may be simple questions, but I don't like the way the answers keep bursting from my mouth. "Dauntless," I say.

Kang says, "All right, Tris. I am going to describe the circumstances that are the reason you were arrested, and we can fill in the gaps from there." He scrolls on his screen. "You were detained after breaking into Erudite—specifically the surveillance room—and disabling two workers. Soon after you were discovered, a man entered the front doors and shot the two guards that were leading you away. After your escape, it was found that a window to an office had been broken, and it was suspected that you aided in extracting information from Jeanine Matthews's personal computer."