Chapter 4.1 - Blax - All Hope is Lost

It was very surprising. The moment the huge dome closed the gaps between us and the outside world was when the moment I realized that all hope was lost. Everyone started panicking, some of them ran all over the place and tried to break through the invisible wall. But of course, not a single of them were able to escape from the grasp of our now, ex-principal. Escher summons his army which consists of Imps, Spies, and Cyclops. We managed to hold them off for a while. But it wasn't enough.

During the confusion, most of the students including our top students were immediately captured by them. All that's left was me along with Sonozaki who managed to get away from all of the chaos. We ended up hiding inside the office. To be more specific, the principal's office. We're not just hiding from Escher's army, we're also trying to find some clues about Escher.

"You got anything, Blax?" asked Sonozaki as he continues to flip through several documents.

I scratched my head and said, "Nothing. Just school files."

"We've been doing this for an hour and not a single one has any relation to our principal's past?"

I continued to check the files and reminded him, "We're running out of time, Sonozaki. Sooner or later, they will find us here."

"I know that. But what else can we do in this situation?"

This situation made me notice something, "Somehow, this reminded me of that war."

"I know. Many kinds of memories were made that day. But we don't have the time to remember the past right now. Not when things changed."

Sonozaki sounded very full of remorse. He has been through a lot, that I can tell. But for all that was right and wrong, I had to ask him something. I've been meaning to ask him ever since he called us to go to the square. Something was not right, I thought.

"Hey, Sonozaki. Can I ask you something?"

Sonozaki wilfully replied, "What is it?"

I slowly walked towards the principal desk and asked, "What have you been doing for the past few weeks?"

"What are you talking about?" Sonozaki continues to go through the files as he replied so.

"I saw you were with Zone. Trading secrets, I presume."

Sonozaki stopped his search and replied, "Of course I would trade secrets with him. Who else has information other than the information broker?"

"What we're you discussing?"

Sonozaki looked a little displeased by me but then he decided to reply, "You got me." Sonozaki turned toward me and answered, "We were discussing about the principal."

He went on and told me everything he knew about what he and Zone discussed for weeks. Apparently, the principal was trying to make something. That sounded very sketchy from the way they got the information. Zone has always been on the neutral side of things. He only does it for the money. But sometimes, he does it because he believes that such an information would be too important to keep for himself.

"Now that's something you don't hear normally from a principal." I wondered about the shift in tone of our now ex-principal.

Sonozaki shrugged, "That's what Zone heard from the phone. I'm not sure if he lied to me but I'm sure something like this is not to be messed with."

"So you've been observing the principal ever since..." I concluded.

"Compared to what everyone believed. Our principal has something more than meets the eye."

"And we saw that today." I finished.

"But I'm afraid there's more, Blax." added Sonozaki.

"What is it?"