Chapter 63

Chapter 63

No, don't weaken. It's just all part of his plan to trick his way back into my life.

He had sex with another woman.

I think.

I don't know.

Fuck.

"Thank you," I mumble.

We stare at one another for a long moment. Adele stops singing in my hand, breaking it.

"Did you want something or...?" I pull nervously on the hem of my T-shirt, looking down away from his heavy stare.

"Oh, yeah, I uh ... I brought your things." He pulls a suitcase out just from behind the wall.

My suitcase. The one I left in Boston. He's kept it with him this whole time.

To be honest I hadn't really thought about what he'd done with it.

"Thank you," I say taking it from him. My fingers graze his in the exchange.

Heat sears painfully up my arm, coursing through my body, careening straight for my heart.

I wheel the case in, parking it up by the side of the door, desperately trying to control my feelings.

"So...um." He brushes his hand through his hair again. "Do you need anything or...?"

"No, I'm fine. Thank you."

This is so hard. There's no witty Ross banter. The ease that has always been between us is gone. It's almost like we're strangers. He's not my Ross anymore, and it hurts beyond words.

"Okay." He steps back. "So...I guess I'll see you – tomorrow."

He's leaving. A sinking feeling encompasses me. I don't want him to go.

Yes, I do.

Composing myself, I say, "Goodnight, Ross."

"Goodnight, Laura Marano." He smiles at me ruefully.

As I start to close the door, he speaks again. "Laura?"

I open the door back up.

"It's really good to see you again. You look...well."

"Thanks." I force a painful smile. "You too."

I close the door, shutting him out.

Leaning up against it, catching the breath I didn't know I was holding, I slide down, sinking to the floor, under the weight of the grief which is crushing me.

This is so much harder than I could have ever thought.

Taking a deep breath I attempt to steady my emotions.

It's just one day Laura, that's all. Get through tomorrow and the show, then your flight is booked for straight afterwards, and you're home free.

Or am I? Will I ever truly be free of Ross when he's already worked so deeply into my heart.

Adele starts to sing in my hand. Lifting it up, I see I have a text.

Ross:

When I said you looked well, what I really should have said was that you look beautiful. x

And there's my Ross.

Unstoppable tears trickle from my eyes, as I start to drown in memories of him. The feel of his skin against mine, his kiss, the way he made love to me.

I don't think I can do this. It's too hard being around him.

No, I can, it's just twenty-four hours. Twenty-four tiny hours to get through.