ix.

Today was the day. The one day out of all three hundred and sixty five that I dreaded, year after year, no matter what. They say that as time passes it gets easier, but it's been eight years and I still felt like it happened yesterday. The events of that frigid October night are burned into my memory and no matter hard I try I cannot get them out. It's almost as if when I close my eyes I'm back there, hiding behind the couch with my hands over my ears, praying to disappear, praying to be saved.  

        I can still hear her muffled screams when I'm sat in silence and as I close my eyes I can still see the fear she held in her's on that night. He still haunts my dreams, the emptiness of his eyes making my stomach churn, his laugh the soundtrack of all of my nightmares. The tears that ran down my cheeks that night formed paths that would never be filled. As I held my mother's frail,beaten body in my arms, I cried an ocean, an ocean I hoped to drown in. He left that night with her life and never returned. If he did, he returned to an empty house that never seemed to become a home. The house may have kept his secrets, but I did not. 

        Harry had left me alone all day, having to attend to business at the warehouse. The date didn't have any significance to him and I didn't expect it to. I laid in bed all day, the small picture album in my lap. The album was my most prized possession, it held my only happy memories and I would rather die than forget about them. She was beautiful, her dark hair and piercing green eyes. Her smile reminded me of Harry's in a way, yet her eye's were full of something much different than his. I wiped the tears from the plastic covers of the photos, shutting the album once again. I listened as the front door opened, Harry walking around the house in silence.

"Eva?"

Harry asked, finally breaking the silence. I took a deep breath, wiping my eyes. 

"In here."

I answered, my voice wobbly. He appeared in the doorway of our bedroom with a small bag in his hand. The smile on his face grew into a frown as our eyes met. 

"It's today, isn't it?"

He asked and I could only nod, my words choked as I gasped for air, tears flowing once again. I was astonished that he had remembered, maybe there truly was a part of Harry left, a part not eaten by the monster he had become. Harry crawled into the bed next to me, wrapping his arms around me as I continued to cry.

"I love you."

He whispered into my ear as his hand ran through my hair. It was strange how his touch could be so comforting. I wished that it could always be like this, us together without any threats of harm.

"Let me help you forget."

He mumbled, pulling the bag I had noticed earlier out of his pocket. I wanted to forget. I wanted to forget every damn second of my life up to that very moment. As the drugs Harry had brought entered my system I started to forget and even if the memories only left my mind for mere seconds it'd be worth it.

-

this is short and it sucks. i'm sorry. the next ones will be much longer i promise.