Chapter Thirty-Five: Battle

Mai glared at Kabuto.

"Get that smug look off your face!" She told him as she was ready to punch him but he managed to dodge her blow.

"Calm down Mai. You know a shinobi mustn't act impulsively." Jiraiya reminded her.

"I know Chichi." Mai said before taking a few step backwards.

"Alright. I'll fight Orochimaru." Jiraiya stated firmly.

"I'll fight with you." Tsunade said determinedly.

Jiraiya looked at the woman with concerned eyes.

"Are you sure you can still fight? You already have spent much of your energy fighting with Kabuto. So maybe you should rest a little." Jiraiya told the female Sannin concerned.

"No, I'm fine. I can fight him too!"

"Let her fight with you Chichi. She'll be alright. My mother is no weakling." Mai said somehow sharply as if outraged. "I'll take care of him."

"Hey, we are here too!" Naruto exclaimed indignantly.

Mai ignored him as she proceeded to speak.

"Don't you worry, I am not going to act recklessly, believe me." She told Jiraiya whose doubts seemed to have finally dissipated.

"That's so rude..." Naruto whispered as he was being depressed.

"Alright. So we'll let you guys fight him." Jiraiya said as he glanced at Kabuto.

"Yosh, you can count on us!" Naruto said while clenching his fist, his fit of depression having disappeared as soon as it had appeared.

Tsunade looked at her daughter with great concern. She thought she could have trusted her. But apparently not. She wasn't supposed to come here, especially not with everyone else. Yet, Mai really trusted her for dealing with Orochimaru. So she shouldn't be worried for her daughter. She was no weakling either, and much stronger than her. So that should be alright.

"Mai."

Said woman looked at her mother waiting for her to proceed.

"Be careful." She couldn't help but tell her daughter. She had wanted to say something that would show Mai she knew she could do it and that she didn't need to worry. But that feeling of fear was stronger than anything else. And her motherly instinct too.

Mai nodded before turning her attention back to Kabuto.

Tsunade looked at her one last time before Jiraiya told her they should go now. They wouldn't be that far from them anyway if there were any problem. The two Sannin left swiftly leaving Mai, Naruto, Akira and Shizune on their own.

"Alright. Let's do this. Stand back. I don't want you to get hurt."

"Hey! We've come to help too dattebayo!"  Naruto exclaimed.

Mai ignored the boy again, much to his great irritation. She wanted this to be over with as quickly as possible.

As for Kabuto, he was obviously angry and was beginning to get a bit worried as well since nothing was going as planned. He hoped this would be over soon too.

Actually, he had no other choice than putting an end to this battle now. Unlike her mother, man wasn't afraid of blood so he could not take advantage of that. He had to find something else to beat her. So he sprang toward her, his right hand enveloped with blue chakra, to strike Mai. But said woman dodged his attack swiftly as she had seen it coming. 

"Not fast enough." She simply told the man who was now even more frustrated. 

He had to find a very good strategy now.