Chapter Ninety-Eight: Proposal

A few weeks after Mai had left the village to go see Obito, she realised that she was pregnant again, to her great dismay. She hadn't dared reveal to Kakashi what she had done. The silver-haired man had seemed to have suspected something though. Still, he hadn't said anything about it. He had preferred not to. 

Mai had only realised too late the mistake she had made. Now she was sure of it. She wanted to spend the rest of her life with Kakashi.

She was now thinking about aborting. But... Could she really take the life of a human being, her own child, even if it was still only an embryo? 

Yet... What Kakashi would say if he learnt what she had done and that she was now carrying another man's child, his best friend's child?

He would certainly never forgive her for this. 

The worst part about it is that Obito had warned her. But she had refused to listen to him. She had refused to listen to her own brain and had let her instincts get the upper hand. 

She was feeling queasy, again, a sensation which she hated. 

But since she was currently in her office (in the newly rebuilt Hokage Tower), she had no place where she could possibly throw up. 

And since she couldn't hold it back any longer, she threw up on the wooden floor, kneeling down to do so. 

She sighed heavily once she had. 

"Mai?"

Said woman glanced in the direction of the door, catching the eye of her cousin who was holding Tonton (Holy s***, I'm just realising that I've forgotten to mention Tonton until now... so I guess it's now or never..)

"Are you okay?" Shizune asked her worriedly, noticing that she was on all fours on the floor. (Just so you know, Mai had been leaning against her desk, she hadn't been sitting behind it)

Shizune then noticed the puddle of green liquid on the floor. 

"Mai! Are you sick?!" she said before rushing at her cousin's side to help her stand up, after she put Tonton down on the floor. "What's up?" 

Mai knew she couldn't lie to her own cousin, so she decided to tell her the truth. At least partly...

"No, Shi-Nee-Chan... I'm not sick... I mean... I'm pregnant. Again...."

Shizune stared at her wide-eyed.

"You are?! Oh my God, Mai!! That's great news!!!" she cried in happiness, a big grin plastered on her face. 

".........."

"Mai? What's wrong?" she then asked in concern, seeing that Mai didn't look happy at all. 

"Well...I'm not sure I want to go through this again..."

"Oh...Mai..."

Said woman looked down at the floor. 

"Don't worry, everything will be okay," Shizune said, attempting to reassure her. "We'll all be there for you, you know."

"............"

She didn't dare say to her the whole truth. She simply couldn't. 

"Please, can you go look for Kaa-Chan and tell her to come here to replace me for a little while. I need to go get some fresh air, on my own. But please don't tell her about my being pregnant. I just don't want her to know just yet..."

"Oh, okay... I won't, don't worry about it. But are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" Shizune asked her, still in concern. 

"No thank you, Shi-Nee-Chan, but I'll be just fine."