Chapter 29

Zero was a bachelor, a Heisman winning sportsman, a disappointing son and a misconstrued celebrity. Now he stood Gideon Bennett otherwise known as Zero. Simply  just a man humbly in love, a retired sportsman, a businessman, still a disappointing son and an even more disappointing lover to a blameless soul like Jude Reynolds.

He stood raw faced from his hand running through it repeatedly in frustration, his other hand held on to an iPhone he was trying to reach Jude but the publicist wouldn't pick up any calls on his personal line.

His business line was being answered by an assistant who kept insisting 'You can leave a message with me, sir.' Gideon groaned into his hands as he sank back into his seat. "He's still not picking up?" Nick asked.

Gideon, hadn't even heard him knock or come in "I'm thinking about driving back to the city to make him understand," he said in reply to his lifelong best friend.

"No need I'm already here," Jude said from the door as he walked in with a single knock on the opened door and sat himself down. Placing a dark folder he was holding in his lap open.

The memory of their first meeting, with Jude holding a pink folder burned to memory and he wanted to smile and do something crazy. Like kiss him in the forehead in a hug but damn the tense situation.

"I've been trying to reach you this past week." Gideon said relief and fear etched on his features.

Jude flipped a page "Hmm," he flipped to another then passed the folder to Gideon "That's the police report, look below to your right to see what the firemen investigation said." Then he looked at Nick "The firemen found a blunt of a Newbury cigarette, it seems that's what started the fire. Does anyone in the office smoke, or smoke that brand particularly?"

"This can wait, I need you to talk to me" Gideon passed the folder to his best friend without looking at it "Jude please, I'm sorry. I really am" he started, pleading.

Nick was sinking to the ground in second-hand embarrassment for his friend, although he cared about the business first he liked the idea of his best friend and Jude together they made a nice sensible couple and Jude had brought happiness and joy into his best friend's life so he excused himself. Gideon saw his best friend mouth the words 'Good luck' as he snuck out of the office.

"Jude."

"Look I'm here to work and," he decidedly glanced down at his Jaeger LeCoultre rose gold watch with narrowed dismissive eyes "And you're wasting my time, time is money Mr. Bennett."

Mr Bennett?

Gideon's eyes bulged at the formality Jude had taken with him for the first time ever, he was getting desperate but he didn't want to scare Jude so he clasped his hands together and sank back in his seat meeting challenging gazes with Carl's nephew.

He could read the challenge in Jude's eyes, Jude was pissed at him for leaving without a word after the party. Especially undermining Jude's role as his publicist who had every right to know about the fire. Zero could feel it Jude was about to give up on him because Gideon hadn't taken the crucial step of deciding what they were. His best friend had even warned him of the implications.

The expression on Jude's face remained blunt, his whole demeanor was all business and a high level of professional etiquette was radiating off him yes Gideon could tell, Jude was only working on what he assumed to have been a cue from him.

He was desperate to bring him in his arms and explain but he didn't was want to rush it and stand losing him altogether.

He sighed "No, no one who works in the office smokes. The fire happened after six pm and everyone had knocked off at four pm so noone."

"Ok then, I'll be going to your house then we'll talk later," Jude said picking himself up.

Gideon a sighed from relief at least Jude was going to be staying with him so reluctantly he watched him go.

a/n: Is Jude validated to be mad at Gideon aka Zero?

Ps: Vote, comment, check out my other books.