"Did you take it?"

It was soon dark out

It was soon dark out. We decided to settle down. We sat around a small fire, talking about things that seemed important before highschool. After we roasted those tiny - ass wieners and drank our cokes, we started begging Gordie to tell us a story. Apparently he was a writer.

The story was about a boy our age called Lardass. He went to a pie eating contest just to throw up on this dude, causing everyone else to vomit on each other. It was a lot better when he told it.

"Just goes upstairs to his room, locks the door, and lays down on his bed," Gordie finished. We were all silent.

"Then what?" Teddy spoke up.

"That's it," Gordie replied in confusion. "That's the end."

"That can't be the end, that sucks!"

I rolled my eyes in annoyance at Teddy. "I thought the story was really good, Gordie."

"Really?"

"Yeah! I also think you could be a great writer."

Chris's eyes widened as he pointed at Gordie. "What'd I tell you, man? You are good!" He smiled.

"Well," Gordie sighed, also smiling. "I don't even know what I'd write about."

"You can write about us," I offered, smiling at Chris. In response, he slung his arm around my shoulders.

"Yeah! Call it Slut and the Falcon," we all laughed wholeheartedly. "Make us solve crimes!"

...

The boys decided to take turns on lookout while everyone else was sleeping. I was sleeping under the huge quilt Shelby insisted on bringing when I jerked awake. I slowly sat up to see Chris sitting next to Gordie's sleeping bag.

"You okay?"

I nodded, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear. "It was about my parents," I scoffed at myself. "I haven't dreamt about them in months."

Without a response, Chris walked over to the tree beside of us and sat in front of it. He held the gun in his hand and propped his elbows on his knees. I sat next to him, copying his position. I looked at him, but he didn't look back. It was completely silent.

"Maybe you could go into the college courses with me," I said, trying to break the silence.

Chris scoffed. "That'll be the day."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why not? You're smart enough."

"They won't let me."

"What do you mean?"

"I know what people think of my family in this town. I know what they think of me. Nobody even asked me if I took the milk - money that time," he was looking back at me now. "I just got a three - day vacation."

"Did you take it?"

"Yeah, I took it. You and Gordie knew I took it. Everyone knew I took it." I tried to say something, but I just couldn't. There was nothing I could say. "Then maybe I was sorry and tried to give it back."

My eyes widened. "You tried to give it back?"

"Maybe, I said. Just maybe. And maybe I took it to old lady Simons and told her, and maybe the money was all there but I got a three - day vacation anyway, because the money never showed up. And maybe the next week old lady Simons had this brand - new skirt on when she came to school." My mouth hung open as I remembered the knee high brown skirt she wore.

"How much was that milk money?"

"Almost $70."

"Shit," I whispered, almost wincing.

"So just say that I stole the milk - money but then old lady Simons stole it back from me. Just suppose I told that story. Me, Chris Chambers. Kid brother to Eyeball Chambers. You think anyone would've believed it?"

"No way!"

"And do you think that bitch would've dared try something like that if it had been one of those douchebags from up on The View that had taken the money?" He was crying now and I couldn't help but notice.

"No."

"But me...Well, maybe she had her eye on that skirt for a long time. Anyway, she saw her chance and she took it. I was the stupid one for tryin' to give it back. But I never thought...I never thought that a teacher..." He was choking up now. Really crying. I didn't know what to do, so I put my hand on his shoulder. "Oh, who gives a fuck anyway?" He sobbed.

"I give a fuck!"

He looked at me with teary eyes. "But you left!"

"I didn't have a choice, you know that!" I began tearing up myself. "I just - I..." I did the only thing I could think of. I kissed him. "Shit, Chris. I'm so sorry - "

"No," he had stopped crying now and wore an emotionless expression.

"No? What do you mean no?"

He mustered up a tiny smile. "No," he replied before kissing me again.

...

somebody has to get the references i made or i'll scream

~Sara