"THERE HE IS!"

We were all walking

We were all walking. Nobody really spoke. If they did, it was quietly and the conversations were short. I was walking beside Chris in silence.

"Aspen," I looked at him. "You know I'm not really like that, right?"

"Do I?" I blinked.

"I hope so." I looked back down at my feet. "I'm sorry."

I looked over at him again. "I'm not the one who needs to hear that." We looked back at Teddy, who had dry blood under his nose.

"It doesn't seem to bother him."

"Teddy's playin' tough guy. Nobody likes fighting their best friend."

...

"THERE HE IS!" Shelby yelled, spotting him from a distance before running off. We all followed after her. "There he is," she repeated, out of breath as she stood in front of the body. Soon we all caught up to her and circled around him.

He didn't look like what I expected. He lied on his back, facing up. There was dry blood coming from his hairline to his eyebrow. His nostrils were filled with blood. His blue eyes were open and it felt like he was looking back at us. Sad thing was - he wasn't. He was really dead. He wasn't sick or sleeping. He wasn't going to his first day of junior high on Wednesday. He was really dead. This kid, this person, this human was gone forever. I felt sick.

I looked at Chris who stood beside of me. His expression was totally blank. In hindsight, I saw something, but not then. And it scared the shit out of me. Chris eventually looked back at me, only blinking.

"Well, well. What the fuck do you know about this?"