Epilogue

Thierry watched quietly as his wife went over financial statements of the growing charity organization that she chaired. His chest swelled with pride as he thought of all she had conquered. Here she was, running a major organization, when just a short time ago she was a shy, almost retiring debutante. Now she bullied local, national, and even international business into funding the rebuilding of her beloved New Orleans, whereas before she wouldn't even stand up to her own mother. Stepmother, he silently corrected himself.

As much as he would have liked to take some credit for his Angel coming out of her shell, he knew that it was something she had done all on her own. She had made the decision to stand up for herself and to take charge of her own life. He just thanked God her choice included him. Thierry smiled ruefully. Angelique Dubois Chevalier was one hell of a woman, even standing up to his dragon of a grandmother, enlisting her help in helping those misplaced by Hurricane Katrina; people his grandmother would have never have spit on had they been on fire.

"For family appearances," Angelique had told Lady Rienne, "you will donate from your personal funds, as well as come to every opening, every gala, every fundraiser. No matter who Thierry might have married, the Chevalier name still means a lot in Louisiana."

"And if I don't?" Lady Rienne sniffed. "What can you possibly do to me?"

"Why, I wouldn't do a thing," Angelique replied sweetly. "However, should the gossip columnists catch wind of all you tried to do to stop this wedding..." she shrugged. "You're the one who would have to deal with the fallout. Not Thierry, and definitely not me."

Lady Rienne gave his wife wide berth now.

Putting away his sketchpad, Thierry moved from his seat by the window to the big leather easy chair beside the desk where Angelique was working.

"Come here, baby," Thierry said huskily.

Angelique looked up from her calculations and smiled at the look in her husband's eyes. Lord, that man could turn her on with just a glance. She only made it within the reach of his arms before Thierry reached out to pull her down across his lap, his lips taking hers with every bit as much passion as the first time.

"I love you, Mrs. Chevalier," Thierry murmured against her lips.

"And I love you, Mr. Chevalier," she responded. "You're my hero."

Thierry smiled down at the best thing that had ever happened to him. "You, sugar, are my very own Angel."