16

Didier slid into the diner booth where Remy and Piers waited. They had chosen to meet far from the strip, just in case. While Thierry and Angelique had been ensconced in their suite for the last forty-eight hours, the rest of them were busy at work planning the couple's big entrance into New Orleans society as a couple. Rance had flown back right after the wedding to handle things on that end with the help of Angelique's three girlfriends. Aubrey was at the hotel with Boden and Beaumont. Both men thought it best if they returned with the happy couple, just in case Lady Rienne had found out her psychiatrist was no longer available to sign the commitment papers she had drawn up. Didier had gotten a disturbing report from the eyes he had on Paul and Charline. It shouldn't be a major problem, but it was something that couldn't be overlooked.

"Paul had a trace put on Angelique's credit cards. Apparently she used them to buy her wedding finery," Didier told the two assembled men. "And no one had seen Solange for at least twenty-four hours."

"Do you think they would send her to bring Angelique back?" Piers asked. It seemed unlikely. Angelique had avoided her cousin like the plague before leaving New Orleans. Surely they would have gotten a clue.

"They don't know how much Angelique knows," Remy supplied, running it through his mind. "Still I doubt it. Solange has probably figured out the game is over and lost. My guess is she skipped town."

"Possibly," Didier agreed. "We just need to make sure someone is with Angelique at all times. They have some serious criminal types looking for her. This doesn't need to get messier than necessary."

"But she's married now." Piers didn't see what was the point of Paul still trying to get to her. He couldn't force her to get an annulment or divorce without Thierry's consent.

"They don't know that," Didier answered. "All we need to do is make sure they lay low until the public reception the night of their return. They will go straight there, then the good Senator will announce his son's marriage."

Although it seemed simple enough, Didier knew anything could go wrong. They all needed to handle this just right to avoid a hint of scandal. All but Lady Rienne on Thierry's side of the family would be there. Now Rance had to make sure Angelique's mother and father would be there as well. He had managed to get Adam Dubois to meet the plane tomorrow evening at the airport in Mississippi. Angelique insisted on being the one to break down the situation to her father. Didier agreed. The man had made some serious errors in judgment when it came to his daughter; she had every right to set him straight.

The men went over some last minute details before heading in opposite directions. Remy and Piers went back to the hotel to wait until they flew out the next day. Didier would be going back to New Orleans tonight. He had one more mission to accomplish to make sure no one threatened the newlyweds again.

*****

Solange grimaced at the tight hold on her arms.

"We're in an elevator; you can let go of my arm. It's not like I can run anywhere."

The men holding her ignored her, as usual. How the hell had she gotten herself into this situation? By being a greedy, conniving bitch, she answered herself. The last twenty-four hours had given her a lot to think about. She should have never tried to bribe that bastard Paul. She should have taken her money problems directly to Uncle Adam, her mother's pride be damned. The woman had been so emotionally scarred by her father that she couldn't bring herself to trust or rely on another man. Unfortunately that meant living by their combined wit. Well, apparently they hadn't been too damn witty. She should have seen there was something seriously off about Paul. Marrying Angelique had become an obsession, even after Uncle Adam had finally caught up with him to give him three months to find other employment. He still had no idea Paul was a thief.