Chapter 6: Operation: Rescue Grandma

Tuesday early morning was quiet in Lena's Penthouse. Exhaustion is still lurking in the midst of the wonderful morning. Everyone was asleep except Lena. Lena's thoughts brought her to the situation at hand. Today is the last day of the Moon Festival and the day that they will break Sam's grandmother out of prison. Lena felt fear spread throughout her body. Sam's pained face the last time her father talked to her telepathically haunted Lena. Lena's not sure if she can relive seeing that pained face again. She has to keep her sister safe, Lena thought. No matter what happens she has to keep Sam safe. And so Lena took the matter into her own hands. Lena went out of her room and knocked at Kara's door. Kara was sleeping soundly when she heard three knocks at the door. She groaned and forced herself to answer the door.

"Alex, I told you it's still so--Lena?!"

Kara's eyes widened when she saw Lena standing outside the door.

"I'm sorry for disturbing your sleep Kara. I just need a favor from you." Lena whispered urgently.

Kara smiled and stepped aside to let Lena in. The two sat on the bed. "So, what is this favor all about?" Kara asked.

Lena swallowed hard before answering, "I need you to contact Supergirl. I cannot allow Sam to go with this rescue mission Kara. It's too risky for her. And I'm scared. I don't want to lose my sister. So I'm thinking, maybe me, Alex, and Supergirl can rescue Sam's grandmother?"

"Does Sam know about this?"

Lena shook her head. "I'm not sure if she'll agree." Lena answered softly.

Kara held both of Lena's shoulders and said firmly, "Lena, I am very much willing to help you. But I don't think it's a good idea to go behind Sam's back. Just let her know what you feel and try convincing her about your plan."

"But Kara, what if Sam doesn't agree?"

"Then that will be Sam's call Lena. I know you have what's best for Sam in mind, but at least let her know. I know going behind Sam's back is easier but it might break her heart if you do the easy way."

Lena sighed and stared at Kara. After moments of contemplating, Lena finally decided that she will try to talk to Sam. Lena thanked Kara and went out of Kara's room.

"Go back to sleep Kara." Lena called out before closing the door.

Lena held her breath and knocked at Sam's door. A few seconds later, Sam opened the door and smiled the moment she saw Lena. She stepped aside and gestured for Lena to come in.

"Did you come here to cuddle with your big sister?" Sam joked.

Lena shook her head and answered, "I need to talk to you about something."

Seeing Lena so tense, alarmed Sam. She stepped closer to Lena and led her to sit on the edge of the bed then Sam sat beside her. Sam waited patiently for Lena to start talking. Lena stared at the floor and after a few minutes, Lena finally said pleadingly, "Sam, please don't join the rescue mission. I mean, you can join but at the sidelines, not the frontlines."

Sam's jaw dropped and she tried to say something but decided against it. She stood up, took a step forward, released a deep sighed and closed her eyes. After a few moments of silence, Sam turned around to face her sister and Lena looked up at Sam. Sam decided to look directly at Lena's eyes then she calmly said, "Okay, I'm not gonna go against your idea immediately. I want to hear your side why you don't want me to go."

Sam sat on the floor at Lena's feet, took her hands and Lena squeezed Sam's hands and answered, "It's too risky for you."

"Lena, you gotta give me more than that." Sam pleaded gently.