Karma

Many years have passed since Dayawanti and Ashish Mehta threw out Ayesha and Avni out of their home.  Ayesha had given birth to their second child Aman a couple months earlier and decided to take Avni to visit her mother.    Dayawanti was just waiting for this oportunity,  Ayesha was blindsided, when Ashish had called her and told her to stay there, he was filing for divorce.    Ayesha went back to the Mehta House with Avni, but was refused entry.

Ayesha couldn't believe it, the man she fell in love with had taken everything away from her.  Her dignity, her love, her peace and her son!  They wouldn't let her in, she couldn't even take her son.   The man she eloped with, her high school sweetheart, turned into a monster.    Everything was ok when they first married,  shortly they had Avni.  A couple years after the elopement, after struggling, both sets of parents forgave them, and welcome them into the fold.    It was decided that Ashish and Ayesha would have a grand wedding.   Everyone agreed.  After the wedding, Ashish and Ayesha had moved in with Ashish's parents.  At first it was okay, but slowly Ayesha was realizing that Dayawanti had not forgiven them.   Ashish's father (Satish) was a gem, he adored Ayesha and Avni, but not Dayawanti.  Satish was not able to stop the abuse that Ayesha endured, due to the fact that Satish was wheelchair bound.  Ayesha was slowly tortured while she was in the Mehta House, all hoping that the man she fell in love with would slowly come back to her.  After a couple of years, Ayesha became pregnant again.  Avni was seven years old by then, and could understand the difference of her grandmother.  Her grandmother hated her.

Two weeks after the divorce, Ayesha found out the Ashish Mehta had remarried, a woman named Sheetal, and renamed her son, Amol.     Ayesha started all over, she rented a place the place right next to her mothers.  Her mother would help her with Avni while she worked. 

About a year after Ayesha didn't return from work as she usually does, Fatima had sent her son and nephew to go look for her.  They went to her work, it was closed but the watchman was there guarding.  He had mentioned that Ayesha left work at her regular time.   Azaan (Ayesha's brother) and Rohan (Ayesha's cousin) went around the neighboring streets to see if Ayesha was seen, instead found a crowd around a body a couple away from where Ayesha worked.    It was Ayesha.   Someone had brutally murdered Ayesha after raping her.  Police had taken over, but nothing was done.  Fatima had lost her daughter,  she had buried her daughter.  The police wasn't doing anything.  Fatima had given up.  She decided that she would let Ashish know that both Ayesha and Avni had passed and quietly raise Ayesha's daughter.  When she had arrived at the Mehta house, the house was in sorrow.  Fatima was confused.  She paid her respects as she found out that Satish Mehta had passed a few days after Ayesha.  As she was leaving, she mentioned that Ayesha and Avni were also gone.   Ashish went into shock.    Dayawanti started her drama that Ayesha had taken the happiness of her family.   She was glad that Ayesha and her illegitimate daughter were dead.  That Ayesha had cursed her family.  As Fatima was leaving, she said, "My daughter was not a curse.  My daughter didn't take the happiness of this family.  My daughter was married to your son for 8 years, my granddaughter is not illegitimate.  She is the daughter of Ashish and Ayesha Mehta.  No matter how you wish it. This family was cursed to my daughter.    Since my daughter didn't have her happy family,  your family may never be happy.  That is my curse.  It will be karma.  Then this mother will sleep happily." 

Fatima left town with Avni, Azaan and Rahul.  After a couple of years, they had returned as Mumbai was home no matter what.    Fifteen years had passed, many things had changed,    Avni grew up,  Rahul had married and Azaan had passed on.   Fatima decided to bury Azaan at the same cemetary as Ayesha.   She wanted to visit both children together.   She wanted to buried by her children, so the that was the main reason for them to move back.    A few years after moving back, Fatima had also left.    But made sure that Avni was taken care of,   Avni had grown to be a strong, independent woman.    Rahul and his wife Neela, took care of Avni as their own along with their son,  Akash.  They were living in Neela's old home, though Avni sometimes stayed at Fatima's old home, to feel closer to her Nanno (Fatima) and Ayesha Ma.   Avni had graduated, and was interning with a company, while helping out at the NGO.   

Avni had been staying over at Nanno's home for the past couple of days, as she was feeling a little off.   She has been working as a intern for a few weeks,  and was enjoying the work along with the working at the NGO, but was tired and needed to recoup.    As she was relaxing, someone was knocking on her door continuously.  

"What is your problem?  If a person hasn't open the door,  it means go away!" yelled Avni as she opened the door.  The man at the door seems familiar but she couldn't place him.

"If the door has been opened, then we say 'Hello'" stated the stranger

"Who are you and what do you want?" asked Avni

"My name is Neil Khanna, ACP Neil Khanna.  I am here to speak to Fatima Haider."

"Why to you want to speak to my grandmother, ACP Khanna"

"Your grandmother?  My understanding was that Amol was her only grandchild." said Neil

"What do you mean?  Amol, you mean Aman Mehta.  That family is dead to us"  stated Avni

"If you mean that Amol is Aman, the son of Ashish Mehta and Ayesha Haider, then yes." said Avni

"We have nothing to do with that cheating, disgusting family! And if you are here for them, you can get out!"  stated Avni

"I am sorry, but who are you again" asked Neil

"I am Avni Ayesha, the daughter of Ayesha and Ashish.  I was with Ayesha when Dayawanti and Ashish decided to kick Ayesha out the home after they had tortured her, abused her and stole from her.  So if you have come from the Mehta house, you can go back.   By the way, ACP Neil Khanna, next time you decided to come here, do your homework!   Fatima Haider, my grandmother,  passed away a few years ago.     Now get out!  Go back to Ashish Mehta!  This house will not welcome anyone from that evil house." stated Avni and then she shut the door in his face.

Neil left and went to visit Ashish.  Ashish was in his office, staring at an old photo.  As Neil walked in, Ashish quickly got up.    

"Neil beta, you here.  Any problem?" asked Ashish

"Uncle.  I have a few questions"  asked Neil

"Go ahead." stated Ashish

"Who is Avni?" asked Neil

"Avni." Ashish teared up.

"Avni is my daughter.  No was my daughter.   She passed 15 years ago.  My wife and daughter, gone." 

"How" asked Neil

"Actually,  I don't know.  It was a horrible time.  My father had passed away, and then we found out that Ayesha and Avni were gone too.   It was a confusing time, Ayesha and I were fighting,  I had started to hit her, I don't know why,  I just remembered that I did.  She went to visit her mother, then she decided that she would stay there and sent me divorce papers." 

"So you were divorced from Ayesha?"  asked Neil

"Yes, we got divorced.  I don't remember much from that time, except I was always angry. My mother was there for me.   I remember that when Nanno came to give the news of their death, it was during the days of my fathers death.   My mother called my daughter illegitimate, and Nanno called her on it.  I was so angry with her.  Why would my mother call my baby illegitimate."

"Uncle, I have a confession.  I had gone to see Fatima Haider.   To see if she could provide a match for Amol.   She has passed on.   Her granddaughter,  Avni Ayesha was there.  Your daughter is alive, but hates your family."

"What do you mean, my daughter is alive?  My Avni.  How could they say that Avni is dead.  Does that mean that my Ayesha is alive too?" asked Ashish.

"I'm not sure but I will find out.  I would keep this news quiet for now.  As I said, she hates you and your family.  I find out everything, then we will try again. Hopefully, you can get your daughter back, and maybe a match for Amol."