33. She Is Dark As Coffee

Almost a month has gone by and I was never this caught up with work

Almost a month has gone by and I was never this caught up with work. Fortunately, the shipping lines that we were pursuing to buy finally agreed on a large amount and sold their company to us. I didn't have much idea about the shipping field but I did my homework in two weeks straight by working late. It was hard to manage the hotel issues and the shipping line analysis simultaneously. Scrutinising things with Mister Francis by my side made understanding the job less difficult. I went home only to sleep. It was good that the company's headquarters were in Manhattan itself, it saved a lot of human power, mine and the employees as well.

Buying a shipping company and providing employment put us a little step back in the business but this step behind is going to take us ahead of the game very soon. I'm keen to grow Adams hotels into Adams enterprises, which is not going to be an easy journey.

With all these affairs going on I couldn't spend much time with Christian. I couldn't believe the dinner at my parents house was the last time I was so close to him. I didn't even get chance to talk to him with time to spare. Christian didn't seem to bother much about me not giving him enough time. I'm sure he understands how busy I'am. He is important to me but balancing my work is important at the same time. I don't want to let my father down.

I was happy Christian was getting along with the office and hotel staff. I saw him getting comfortable with Harry, Martha, Security guys and some other people. Mister Francis kind of smiled talking to Christian as well, which is very rare to see. One day, I was getting out of my office to go to the conference room when I saw the HR's assistant Miss Pavlov laughing out loud to something Christian said. This happened many times after that day. I was glad Christian was getting to know everybody and getting friendly but that girl, Gabriela, I didn't like her much. She came to my office for every single inconvenience in some file or something. She was either trying to get into my good books or was making excuses to see Christian. I even noticed that she offered coffee to Christian every morning. I didn't let all this bother me much because I know he loves me and he knows that I love him, and that is enough.

But I was having second thoughts on my conscience. Whenever I got out of my office she was there. She wouldn't talk to him every time but she would be around him. I don't care if she hits on him as long as he doesn't show any interest in her. I don't want futile conflicts between me and Christian because of her.

I was in the conference room with all the heads of departments and their assistants present on the table. Mister Weiss our sales manager was proposing the new goals for the hotels and to increase the hotel budget by introducing new amenities for the guests staying. He was also talking about the last three years sales comparing with this year's sales. The room was filled with people maintaining their utmost silence. Mister Matthews and his assistant, Miss Pavlov were sitting on my right hand side. Her attention was elsewhere and not in the conference.

Christian was standing by the door with his hands clutched in front of him. He was observing everybody in the room and outside. Miss Pavlov was glancing at Christian from time to time. That girl was pulling my attention from the conference. I was gripping the pen in my hand tightly as I watched her making eyes at him but I was trying to keep my cool. She smiled at him when he caught her gaze. That's it.