44. Don't Walk Away

There was a tall white cake in front of me with aesthetic red and golden roses lying on the top and going all the way down to the cake. The cake had a marble like finish to it and was on a golden coloured octagonal plate which had written 'Happy Birthday Reign' in pearly white piping on it. I could not believe Gramma baked such a gorgeous cake for me.

"You really made it for me, Gramma?", I asked in disbelief and happiness. She gave me her cutest smile as the wrinkles on the sides of her eyes deepened and the dimple on her right cheek became more prominent.

"Of course I did, cupcake."

I narrowed my eyes in suspicion. I don't trust her, I mean she may have baked the cake but the detailing on the cake is something that she wouldn't be able to do by herself.

"Really?", I asked again, emphasising the word so she could get the hint that I'm doubting her. She chuckled a little in embarrassment.

"Okay, I didn't do it all by myself. Half and less of the credit goes to my twins." She said and glanced at them.

"I told you you wouldn't get away with that." Mia gave a full smile to tease Gramma.

"I knew Reign would catch you just like that." Madison added.

"Hey, I'm old. I should get all the credit at this age."

"Fine, the credit is all yours." The twins said in unison. Gramma looked at me with a smile. I kissed on her cheek.

"Thank you, I love you." I said.

"I love you more." She said patting my cheek gently.

"Come on now. I want the cake." Alexander whined.

"Blow the candles, Reinny." Jake said.

"I need to sit, I can't stand for too long." Gramma said as she looked around for a chair. Nick immediately offered his chair to her and she sat holding his hand.

"Thank you dear." Gramma thanked him. I shared a smile to Nick and he gave me a sweet one in return.

Something is definitely wrong with him, he has been looking at me with his dark brown eyes all evening. Giving me longing looks and creepy smiles. As much as I appreciate him flying across the country to see me on my birthday, he was scaring me.

The waitress handed me a knife. I looked at Christian's direction before I blowed the candles but I couldn't see him because everyone was crowding. I let out a small sigh.

Why is he so close yet so far?

I wanted him to be with me, be right beside me. I held on to the ruby that he gave me with my fingers and blew the candles closing my eyes. This time I didn't wish for anything. I didn't want to wish again for what I want and then undo my previous wish. I'm anxious just like that.

As soon as I blowed the candles everybody started singing the birthday song. I was looking at everyone, they were happy and smiling. This is what I love about birthdays, families come together, celebrate and mend their bond stronger.

After I cut the cake and distributed to everyone, we all were talking and having fun in the lounge right in front of the stage.

"Okay, people." Alexander announced. Everybody gave their attention to him.

"I have a gift for my sister." He smiled at me. I sensed a prank.

"I'm sure it's a bomb." Jacqueline whispered in my ear. I let out a little laugh at her assumption. I'm sure Jacqueline is still shook from the balcony incident and wouldn't get around Alexander's proximity radius anytime soon.