Chapter 4: Push the Limit

Kara sat in the kitchen of the palace, watching the chefs cook the food and the servants quickly plating it. She almost missed it, or missed the people at least. She never got time to catch up with them anymore after she had agreed to service her prince.

A royal gala was being held tonight, an occasion that Odin would put together every so often. It was for the allied realms and Asgard to celebrate their camaraderie, and Loki wanted Kara to be there with him.

She sat upon a stool, catching up with some of the other servants while they worked. It was nice to talk to them, she did miss them dearly. Some gave her looks of jealousy, others of admiration, some even with disgust. Her position as Loki's maiden had spread quickly after she told Sabella of the agreement.

She conversed with the ones that would still give her time of day, although it hurt knowing that some of them now held a grudge against her.

"So, have you and the prince laid together, yet?" One girl giggled, looking at Kara. She shook her head, a blush creeping on her cheeks.

"No, afraid not. Though the rumors are true about his 'silver tongue'," she covered her mouth with her hand as a small laugh escaped her lips.

"My, what a dream. I'd do just about anything to be where you are," another girl piped in, "in the hands of a prince," she sighed dreamily.

"So you'd want to be a whore?" An older servant woman snipped, glaring at Kara from the side, "you know, it's very un lady like to speak of your private life in such a way. Not everyone wants to here the details from the quim herself," she rolled her eyes.

Kara frowned, looking down. She was right, it was wrong of her to speak in such a manner.

"My apologies," she said softly as she stood up. She quickly left the kitchen, ignoring the voices of the girls calling after her.

She felt tears prick at her eyes as she walked quickly down the hallway. Was she really just a whore? To be unwed and deflowered? It hadn't happened yet, but it would eventually. A tear spilled down her cheek as she recalled the ugly looks and words people would call her behind her back. She wrapped her arms around herself in an attempt to comfort herself.

She had to find Loki, the only one that didn't think these awful things about her. But maybe he did? No, of course not.

Shaking the thought from her head, Kara searched the halls for him yet he was no where to be seen. Where could her prince be? Right now she needed him, to comfort and assure her.

She made her way to his study, hoping to find him there, just to continue to be unsuccessful. She decided she would just wait for his return as she sunk into the large leather seat. She curled up as she waited for him, tears softly falling from her watery eyes.

The door clicked open, bringing Kara from her nap. She had fallen asleep in the study while waiting on Loki to arrive. She heard his voice from the hallway, talking to someone. She sat up, straightening her clothing as Loki walked in with Frigga. Kara gasped and immediately looked down.

Loki spotted her in his chair and raised an eyebrow, looking to his mother before looking back at her. He sighed as Frigga took notice of her.

"Oh, hello, my dear, who might you be?" She questioned, smiling softly at Kara.

How was she supposed to tell her that she was her son's quim? She didn't think that would play over too well. In a moment of panic she stood up and headed for the door. Before she could make a swift exit, Loki caught her by the wrist. She looked at him, biting her lip in nervousness. He mouthed a quick "it's okay" before pulling her to him and then facing Frigga.