Chapter 5

The girls were chattering excitedly about what had just happened. Whatever had just happened, which they didn't exactly know. Isabella was eager to go with this stranger of her dreams, to escape her abusive mother once and for all. She would have done it without a second thought, but Lizzie wasn't so keen.

"You are NOT going with a strange girl that broke into our house. Who knows where she would take you. She's probably not even our sister!" Lizzie rage whispered, eyes darting around, looking at everything apart from Isabella, knowing she would never forgive her for this. She was doing it for her own good. She didn't want her sister to get hurt, or maybe worse!

"She didn't exactly break in," the pail, young girl interrupted, "We let her in."

"I don't care. I won't let my sister be hurt."

"I won't let mine either," Isabella said, only her spellbound eyes giving away that she was furious. A smile played with Lizzie's lips, thinking she had made the fantasy head understand her reasoning.

"I won't stand by watching that weirdo we just met, WHO IS MY SISTER, get abused by our AND HER mother." The smile instantly faded from Lizzie's face, and her stomach dropped with worry. If Isabella knew about anything at all, she wouldn't go with the shape-shifter. But the question was, did she know anything?

"Just go to sleep," Lizzie answered her, annoyed, but that was just what the foolish girl was like. Always with her head in the clouds, never understanding or wanting to understand reality. Lizzie always said to her sister that she read too many books, or watched too many films. They used to play games about magic when they were younger, wishing for it to be real. Mind this, though, be careful what you wish for, because you never know if it might just come true...

Isabella soon heard her blonde sister softly snoring, even though Lizzie always hurriedly denied it. The young girl decided to go out for the night, since she wouldn't be able to sleep a wink. She needed time to digest all what had happened that night, and that might take a while she thought whilst putting her silver watch on, which reflected the light of the half moon.

She'd snuck out in the middle of the night before, but this time was risky. Their mum was wide awake this time, doing who-knows-what to her new-found sister. She sometimes wondered whether she really was her mum. Maybe she was an alien from outer space, coming to steal away children and make their lives a living hell! Maybe she was a witch. She could be anything! More likely to be a witch than anything.

The dark haired girl pulled out a battered rope, just long enough to dangle to the grimy ground. Isabella usually kept one under her bed in case she needed to make a quick, stealthy escape. She tied a loose knot around one of her blue bed frame's legs and went over to the window. She could feel the cool wind dancing through her hair, waking her up for the long night ahead. Climbing through the wide open window, holding onto the crippled rope, she started to walk down the wall, not bothering to listen to the sounds around her, including the faint screaming. As usual, she reached land just before the leg of her bed gave in. Once it did and she had had to change the bed's way round so Crystal had not found out.

She was on the floor now, but where to go?