Chapter 7

(Secrets can be dangerous. When anyone covers up a story with a lie, it later becomes a threat, a shock, or a surprise to those that hear it. For every story wrapped in blankets of folklore or myth, the truth behind it is always a tale that most will never accept as reality. Enjoy! )

Chapter 7: Section 7 – 1

The trip back to planet Saneesh takes long than expected. The journey nearly takes a toll on the imperial guard. The last battle gives every man, woman, ogryn, tech priest, and officer a moment to breathe peacefully. With the ork war boss dead and his ork horde leaderless, the future is once again secure for the Imperium of Man. There will always be ork hordes around the galaxy ready to cause a war. They are an endless tide of green skin muscle ready to be thrown at a planet. As many guardsmen drink, nurse, and relax away the worries of war and misery, Lucas sits calmly on deck one with his thoughts of the future. It was not a man or woman who had slain the ork boss. It was the hand of an eldar warrior. The real question is how to report all of this to Commander Vance. The eldar fled once the guardsmen were done extracting their teams operating on the moon. The eldar left no trace of warp energy behind. They had what they need. The eldar spirit stone of Elenwe was back with their clan. They even managed to recover the artifacts from an avatar of Khaine. Despite their loss of fighters, the eldar now present a threat to this section of the galaxy if left unchecked. There are many questions and reports to give to Commander Vance. The real problem is how to inform him of the events.

Max comes to deck one and joins Lucas; they take a moment to have a drink. No words of courage are spoken. No accusations of heresy need placing. No actions of preparation to consider. It is just two men having a drink and pleased at how far they have come. The rest of the journey home will take at least a year due to the FTL drive carrying the ship most of the way. With only a skeleton crew operating, they enjoy a decent moment of peace.

Lucas says, "Do you think things will change for us from here on out? We did break a lot of regulations of the imperial guard. You probably broke the most."

Max sighs and sips his drink.

He says, "Last I recall you only needed my help. Commander Vance allowed me to join and redeem the renegade guardsmen. He also agreed to let me join the regiment. As for anything else, it is an unforeseen event. I am just glad the orks are dead and nothing else is trying to kill us."

Lucas pours another drink and adds, "He may still reward us all something. We did go through hell just trying to slay the ork. If not a planet to rule over, then the ship should be ours. Lina has done so much to make it better before the warp drive became useless."

Max agrees. They continue sharing the bottle until a familiar person comes over and takes it. Before she consumes the beverage, they watch her disconnect the metal arm on her shoulder. She lets her robe hang loosely on her. With a few swallows and her head leaning back, Lina takes the remaining half down her gullet with ease. Both Max and Lucas are stunned beyond belief; she finishes the bottle in less than a minute.

Lucas says, "You do realize that was an alcoholic liquid right? I thought you can only take in certain fluids to your body. I hope that will not cause you to have a problem."

Lina places the empty bottle down and pulls out another, "My body is still very much human in many areas. The only parts of me that are replaced are the ribs, spine, shin, feet, and shoulders blade; half of my brain is a machine too. Oh, and I have replaced most of my blood with synthetic liquid to keep me going for long hours throughout the day. Though I am the Blessed Techno Child, I still can feel things like love, happiness, and desire. Some things a machine can't provide me with me."