May 8

Why do they call it a messy bun if you have to keep doing it about a thousand times?

That's something that I never understood.

I fixed my skirt in the mirror and slipped on my sneakers. I grabbed my bookbag and hurried downstairs when I heard the doorbell ring.

   "Who is this so early in the morning," mom complained as she peaked out of the curtains.

   "See ya later, ma." I said as I reached for the front door knob.

   "Woah. Woah. Woah." She held up her finger. "Give me a hug."

I hugged her briefly and when I tried to pull away, she wouldn't let go.

   "Mom. I have to go."

She finally let me go and I turned to the door, opening it.

   "Hey, Kiyong." I smiled as he reached out and gently held my hand.

   "Are you ready to go?"

   "Yeah," I nodded. He pecked me on the cheek.

Mom's eyes grew wide and her mouth gaped open.

   "I'm so sorry, Mrs. Micheals." He quickly apologized.

   "No." She shook her head. "I'm actually happy. You two are dating?!"

We nodded. "Yes!" She exclaimed.

She was way more excited than I thought she'd be. "I'm so happy for the two of you!" She placed her hands on Kiyong's face. "My son in law."

   "MOM!"

   "What? Too early?"

   "Yes! Way too early!"

Kiyong hid his blush and laughed.

She cleared her throat, and straightened her face.

   "You two have my blessing. There's just one condition."

   "What?"

She turned to Kiyong and said with such sterness.

   "Just make sure your hands and other body parts are kept where they are supposed to and we won't have any issues, okay?"

Kiyong nodded.

   "Yes, ma'am."

   "Good." She smiled.

   "Omar!" I yelled. "C'mon! I'm about to leave you!"

Omar Hassan rushed downstairs and picked up an apple from the dining room table.

At school, I spotted Jordan getting out of his car.

   "I'll see you in class," I turned to Kiyong and he nodded before letting go of my hand.

I went up to Jordan.

   "I knew that you were the one who gave Chul Soo, Kiyong's hat. You were the one who had it."

   "Look, I'm sorry." He quickly confessed. "I didn't even really give it to him. He took it and forced me to tell him."

   "So, what'd you guys do after we left?" I folded my arms. "Share the video all over the internet? Laugh at us? Like, I should be caring at this point."

   "No." He shook his head. "Just a few moments after the two of you left, he ordered everyone to leave and if anyone dared to share that video, that he'd make their life a living hell. Then everyone ran out like there was a fire."

   "Oh," I frowned from confusion. "Why'd he do that?"

   "I don't know," Jordan shrugged. "Maybe because he still loves you and he's hurting."

   "That answer sounds rehearsed."

   "The only reason why I wanted you to go to that party was so that you could make amends with him. You should have seen him after the two of you broke up..." He rolled his eyes as if it were to annoying to explain.

   "Why? What happened?"

   "He rushed over to my house in the middle of a panic attack. He was sobbing like a baby, breaking into sweats and wasn't breathing properly. I offered to take him to the hospital but he refused. Then a few minutes later when his panic attack was over, he just sat there on the couch staring at the blank television. He didn't say anything. Then the next morning he left."

   "Oh... I..."

   "He threw the party to get his mind off of the break up. But, I invited you. I hoped that the two of you could make up, but of course things only went south."

   "Oh..." I repeated, not knowing how to respond.

   "I hope that Chul Soo gets over you, for his sake. But, in the mean time, I hope you and Kiyong get along. You two look great together." He turned away and walked towards the school entrance.

   "How'd you know that..."

   "News travels fast." He smiled a little before leaving.