Oranges, Reds, and Yellows-Ch.9

I opened my front door with my hand that wasn't burning. It didn't do me any good though, the cold October air licked at my scars.

I shrugged my shoes off and carelessly threw my school bag onto the floor. Right now, I wanted to relax in my room, watch some soap opera's and eat as many granola bars as I wanted. That sounded so good.

"Phoenix Dellemont O'Reilly, you will explain to me why the car has a white scratch on it, and by God, I hope for your sake that its a good reason too," A familiar voice boomed.

What was she doing here?

Slowly turning around, I flinched when I caught my mother's gaze. I guess she came back from her tour to Australia. I couldn't help but notice that she had bags underneath her eyes and her hair had significantly grayed. 

"Mom," I breathed. "I've had a really tough day today, so can we talk about this at dinner-"

She squared her shoulders, giving me the ultimate 'no' look. "Phoenix, you don't make the rules around here. I do. And I even got an email today that said you were using your Ipod in class." When she saw my dilated eyes, she smirked. "Exactly, young lady. Don't think that I don't know about what you've been up to."

"But mom-"

She walked towards me and picked up my backpack, neatly hanging it on the closet door's doorknob like a perfectionist. "But nothing. You will go up to your room and we will discuss your punishment later. And for God sake's Phoenix, clean that abyss, would you?" 

I pursed my lips, trying to control my tears. My whole life I suffer. I swallow my pain and pretend that I'm perfectly fine. The word "fine" had to have been one of the worst words in the dictionary for me. So deceiving and overused.

"Mom,"

Mother turned around, a little startled to see me still here. She narrowed her dark brown eyes at me."Did I stutter? Why are you still here?"

I crossed my arms. "Do you know how lonely I am here? Do you, mom?" I asked with a quivering voice. When I felt my eyes pool with tears, I looked up at the ceiling and tried to control my emotions.

Come on, Phoenix. Come on. Don't cry!

She laughed. The nerve of her, she actually laughed! "Well," she paused. "You're about to get even lonelier."

"What?" I echoed, glaring at her. "What are you talking about?"

She shrugged nonchalantly. "I fired Jenevieve; which makes me wonder how many babysitters and maids you've had. About thirty three, correct? Well, it doesn't matter. We'll get you a new one-about five days-six days tops."

I gaped, my mouth no doubt catching flies. "I-but-you-" I spluttered. The woman who raised me for nearly two to three years. The woman who made me fresh blueberry muffins and brought me French make up. The woman worried about the green car, the Zepplin, and worried about me, was gone? Jenevieve was truly gone?

"How could you?"

My mother glanced at me fleetingly. "Oh, don't be so dramatic." She then started busying herself with her cellphone, checking voice mails right in front of me, as if I wasn't here.

My heart was thrumming loudly in my chest. I spoke slowly and carefully. "Because your my mother, I won't disrespect you, but mom y-you should have asked me first."

Her eyes flicked to me before going back down on her phone. "Mhmm, dear."

"Are you even listening?" 

When I didn't get a response, I groaned out loud and finally thought I had enough. I grabbed my shoes, slipped them on as hurriedly as I could and climbed down the stairs. 

She fired Jenevieve. She actually did it.

I felt a clog in my throat. The only real mother I've ever had in my life was gone. I grabbed a coat that I found hanging in one of the closets in the basement. It was slightly huge, but at the moment, I could hardly give a damn. I slammed the basement's window open, launched my leg over the sill and closed my eyes as I jumped down.

It was barely even a jump since I was in the basement, but that still didn't mean I didn't hurt my ankle. "Ah!" I hissed, holding my ankle. And then I looked down at my scarred hand, remembering Elaine. 

My crazy ex best friend. Thanks, I wanted to scream at her wherever she was right now. No really, thanks! 

Anyway, I marched through my backyard and headed towards the gold encrusted gates of my community. I beamed at the gate security so that they wouldn't be suspicious of me. It wasn't a few moments later till they opened the gates for me and I smiled back at them-fake of course, "Thanks a bunch!" 

"No problem, ma'am," One of them called, tipping his hat towards me.

Idiots.

After a few minutes of wandering around aimlessly, with cars zooming past me and some bystanders walking their dogs, I started wondering some things. Where was I even going?

I wrapped my arms around myself, my teeth chattering. There was a slight wind in the air, roughly blowing some of the autumn leaves around the feet of the trees. I caught sight of oranges, reds, and yellows shimmering underneath my boots. Crunch, crunch, crunch. I was enjoying myself, stomping slightly on the leaves below me like they were small, helpless people and I was a giant.

Then something buzzed in my pocket.

I flipped open my cellphone and nearly dropped it on the sidewalk.

Want to get Ash back 4 what he did? Meet us @ the yogurt place right near Fresh Deluxe & DON'T tell any1.