CHAPTER TEN: familiar

{ " but if it's cool, i wanna get inside your brain " — familiar, liam payne & j balvin, 2018 }

"Suspended?" Evie exclaimed, her brown eyes widening in shock. "Andrews?"

"Yes. For three days." Jughead hissed, giving the girl a look. He knew why the two boys had been fighting, and it was because of the girl standing in front of him. "Apparently, they got into one hell of a fight, and Coach wasn't too happy. And you know, Honeybee, they were fighting because of you."

"They fought over me?" Evie flashed a grin at the other Serpent.

"Not over, because of you." Jughead corrected her. "Apparently, Archie thinks it's his job to defend your honor."

"Jug, why are you so mad at me?" Evie questioned.

"Because, Honeybee. Archie Andrews is my best friend, and he typically doesn't go around punching other people." Jughead answered.

Evie's face twitched as she tried to suppress a smile. "You don't think it's even a little bit funny? That two of Riverdale High School's most elite football players got suspended because they were fighting over a Southside Serpent?"

Jughead gave her a look, then a grin creeped on his face. "It's maybe a little funny. And I told you, they weren't fighting over you."

Evie sighed. "I should probably go apologize to Andrews."

"For getting him suspended?" Jughead asked.

"Among other things." Evie replied.

Jughead chuckled slightly before saying, "Well, I'm going to head home. Do you need a ride back to Sunnyside?"

They'd had a meeting at the Whyte Worm, and the two were the only teens left at the hangout.

"No, I've got my bike, and I have to make a stop on the way home." Evie said to the boy. "But thanks, Jug." She shrugged on her leather jacket and grabbed her bike keys, then headed out to her motorcycle.

Instead of heading back to the trailer park, Evie headed towards the Northside.

She slowed her bike to a stop across the street from the houses of two of Riverdale's most well-known teenagers: Archie Andrews and Betty Cooper. She took her helmet off and stuffed her keys in the pocket of her jacket, then walked up to the Andrews home.

She was about to knock on the door when she realized there was a doorbell, so she pushed it. She heard the soft barking of a dog from somewhere in the house and remembered Archie showing her a picture of a yellow lab named Vegas.

A man Evie quickly identified to be Fred Andrews opened the door.

"Can I help you?" The older man asked.

"Hi, Mr. Andrews. I'm Archie's tutor at school, and I just wanted to drop by some more things for him to study, if that's okay." Evie gave the man a grin. She knew that Fred Andrews was a caring, kind man, and she didn't want to lie to him, but she couldn't tell him the real reason she had come to visit his son. "My name is Genevieve Morgan." She quickly blurted. It felt weird, saying her full name, but for some reason she could not bring herself to say "Honeybee". She felt the same calming feeling with Mr. Andrews that she did with Pop Tate, who had called the girl by her real name since birth.

Fred smiled at the girl and nodded, not caring a bit that she was in a Serpent jacket. She liked that he wasn't willing to judge people before he knew them. Much the same as Archie. "Sure thing, Genevieve. I'll let Archie know you're here."

"Thank you, Mr. Andrews." Evie said with a genuine smile.

Vegas, Archie's pup, padded over to the girl, and Evie got down on her knees to give the dog some much-needed petting. She often wished that she could have a dog, but she knew that she and Sweet Pea didn't need that added responsibility in their trailer. For now, she just settled with cuddling with Hot Dog at the Whyte Worm when she got the chance.

"I see you've met Vegas." Archie's deep voice brought Evie out of her pet-fueled euphoria.

"Yes." Evie stated, giving the lab a few more pets before she stood back up. "He's quote the gentleman."

Archie chuckled, glancing down at the dog and patting the top of the dog's head. "I guess he is, isn't he?" He looked back up at Evie with a smirk. "So, Genevieve, my dad said you had some study material for me?"

Evie shot the redhead a look. "That's Honeybee to you, Red."

Archie motioned for Evie to follow her inside the house and up the stairs to his room. "So my dad gets to call you Genevieve, but I don't?" He asked as they walked.

"That's correct." Evie answered. Eventually, they made their way to his bedroom. Evie set her backpack down and dug around for a notebook. Her white lie to Mr. Andrews wasn't a complete lie, she guessed. She did have some notes to give to Archie. He needed to keep up his studies, especially now that he would be suspended for a few days. "Andrews, I would like to apologize." She began, after handing him the notes.

"For what?" Archie asked as he set the notebook on his desk.

"I may have ... done some actions ... that resulted in your ... suspension." She muttered, clearing her throat at the end.

"My suspension? That was my own fault. Well, mine and Mantle's." Archie resounded.

"Yes, but I've become aware that you two fought because of me. And, I'd like to apologize for that. And ask for no further similar behavior in the future." Evie stated.

Archie sighed as he thought back to what Reggie had said to him about Evie earlier that day. "So it's true, then? All of it? You and him?"

Evie nodded. "Reggie is a ... well, he's always been a spur of the moment decision, and a bad one at that. I made that mistake a few times this summer, and then once again this morning." She admitted.

Archie ran a head through his red hair. "Okay. I mean, it's fine, it's whatever. It's not like ... you know. You and I. We just mess around."

"Exactly." Evie said in agreement.

Archie nodded, folding his hands in his lap. "I'm sorry too, then. I had no reason to get ... jealous."

"Don't apologize." Evie quickly stated. "I ... I only acted the way I did out of jealousy as well."

Archie's eyebrows went up in surprise. "What?"

Evie nodded. "I don't know what it is, Andrews. But something about you ..." She shook her head. "I can't get you out of my brain. You're just ... always there! I think about you when I shouldn't, and I can't get you out."

Archie smiled. "Guess you aren't used to that, are you?"

Evie rolled her eyes at the boy, but a small smirk played on her lips. "I usually don't experience many feelings like this at all."

"Well, if it helps, Honeybee, I can't get you out of my brain, either." Archie replied.

"That doesn't help in the least, Andrews. That just serves a larger problem."

Yay! Another chapter done. I am honestly very pleased with this chapter and proud of how it turned out. Let me know what you think by dropping some comments!
- m