You.

You had the ability to teach me your career
You could have kept me clean
Taught me a new path
Something different
What holds me back is my sobriety

That's not your fault
But my own
I struggle to find a new way because of what I choose to do
It holds me
I hold myself back
~

You could have taught me how to defend myself and become stronger, instead of use me when I was young and gullible.

When I was a kid, besides wanting to become a writer, I was also fascinated with the idea of becoming a spy. It seemed silly, but honestly it wasn't. All I needed was the push, mentality, and the grades of course.

You could have educated me more about your career, eventually I could have trained to become a member of the law enforcement.

As detective for the DEA, you could have taught me to stay away from things that can cause addiction. I know it runs in the family, but we could have been strong together.

You showed me your gun once.

Let me hold it in my tiny hands, feel how heavy it felt loaded and ready, or maybe unloaded. I don't know. You told me to never touch this, that it was dangerous. I never did, I always listened. It was always there on the nightstand or somewhere nearby, whenever I was around. I kept my distance and never strayed close.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't blame you for what's going on in my life now, I just wish things went a bit differently, you know?

You could have been such a big part of my life.
~