Chapter-7 (Picking her Number!)

1st November, 2018

Meera

"Meera, get yourself together! You can't go back to what you were 4 years ago. He wasn't even real. If you think carefully, he's still alive. He'll always be alive in your books. You've said this over and over that you are the main authority of everything that happens to your characters. You never even had a real conversation with the guy. You don't know how he looks. You literally created him out of your imagination. He might not even be like the way you've imagined him. He was like an imaginary friend to you just like kids create their ideal friends. As they grow up, even kids forget and leave them behind. He was never even real for you..."

My psychiatrist keeps speaking while all I do is, stare at the screen. I've no memory of reaching this house. I've been drifting in and out of consciousness. I feel stuck in this endless abyss, all dark and cold...just like I was 4 years back. But, this time there is an extra dead body...Yi-En!

*******************************************

3rd November, 2018

"Meera, how are you feeling today? Is your throat finally fine? Can you speak now?" My psychiatrist asked from the other side of the screen.

For the past 2 days she's been video calling me for hours. Everyone is scared...scared that my memories of past will overshadow my present. What should I tell them? That my past still haunts me or that I never really escaped it. It's just that I've learnt to mask my real emotions. The pain is still there, it hurts every day. Past few days because of cold, sore throat and fever; I lost my voice, had runny nose and teary eyes. My weak physical state did make me mentally vulnerable and some unpleasant, dark memories did come creeping in.

I admit that in the initial moments of hearing the news of Yi-En's death, I was shocked. I couldn't function and cried myself to sleep. Then, I woke up with this severe headache and fever! Crying incessantly and not eating deteriorated my condition. I faintly remember going to the nearby convenience store to get some fever reducer and a strange guy I guess...and now here I am!

My tonsils are still swollen. I can speak but not much. Though, my fever is almost gone. I'm physically strong enough. I think it's time to reassure everyone of my mental and physical well-being. I think I should text her.

I gesture with my one hand to ask my psychiatrist to wait and with the other hand I flash my phone, signaling her that I'll text her.

"Okay, take your time!"

"Don't worry! I don't know why you all are making a mountain out of a molehill. Yi-En will live when I say and I die when I decide. What you've been saying for the past 2 days, I know all that. Yes, I was a little sad but not so much that I'll get depressed. Even the real guy never wanted me to give up and be depressed. He wanted me to live, love, laugh and shine bright! All the exhaustion from the continuous projects and deadlines clearly took a toll on my health. You all are just over-reacting! Please, don't worry about me. I'll come to you if I'll really need you. I told you 4 years ago when I stepped out of your office that, you'll never see me as your patient ever again because someone's words have worked their magic! It wasn't his physical features that pulled me out but, his words. No one can take his words from me. And he's forever immortalized in my book."

She reads the text and smiles.

"I knew that you'll be alright but Ashok kept bugging me day and night! He even wanted to hop on the next flight with a plastered hand!" I smile a little hearing it.

"But Meera, you've been working too hard and for too long. Don't you think you should take a break from all this? Try living a different life...like do more interviews, enjoy T.V appearances and being famous for once. Don't close yourself from the world. I heard that you're gonna teach creative writing and scriptwriting course...try to be a little more social. Make new friends, and most importantly, DATE! Try scripting your love-story instead of just writing them in your books..."