Chapter 12 (How I Met My First Love!)

Mark

Her eyes are the same. I know she's the one I have been looking for years. This little crescent moon-like scar under her left eye, I can recognize it anywhere.

Andermatt, 2013

"Hey, kid! Why are you here alone again?" I say, grabbing the little girl's jacket collar.

"None of your business!" she tugs to break free, but I keep holding on. I am strangely worried. This girl always goes outside in the evening and doesn't come back till late at night. I know it because her room is right next to mine. Today is the last day, then we are leaving to ski at another resort before going back home.

"What's your problem? Leave me alone and I am not a kid!!" She replies angrily, suddenly pivoting around. I look at her eyes, swollen, sad, big eyes and there's a little crescent moon-like scar under her left eye. As if possessed, I leave her jacket to touch her scar, feel it. But my abrupt release, makes her loose her balance. I see her arms fly in the air, to hold onto anything but, ME! She doesn't even try to hold onto to me, as if breaking her bones is better than touching me!! I finally see her close her eyes and accept her fall. Her face scrunches and lines forms on her little forehead in preparation of the pain which will follow the fall. Scared that she might break into little pieces like a delicate porcelain doll, I quickly lean in to grab her. Her hard head hits my chest, and I tighten my grasp around her waist. Now that she's in my arms, I don't want to let go of her warmth. Her tiny frame fits in my embrace, perfectly. I can feel her rapid breath against me. My heart speeds up. I finally look down and see that she has still not opened her eyes. I smile.

After almost a minute, I feel her calm down and I lower my head to whisper in her left ear with a smile, "How long are you gonna stay in arms, I am fine with forever too!"

Her eyes fly open as soon as she hears my words. She looks into my eyes, defiantly, like an annoyed little kitten.

"Ouch!!!" I feel sharp pain in my left toe as she suddenly steps on it. I lose my balance, but still hold onto her and before I can do anything, we both crash down on the snow, rolling down a little. I use my right hand to finally steady us. When I open my eyes, I see her face, just a millimeter away from mine. She opens her eyes slowly, meeting mine. I feel her heartbeat quicken in my embrace or was it my own heart...? I think it was both of us. We lie there on each other, staring, searching for something in each other's eyes. Suddenly, somewhere far, someone lights up our sky with fireworks. Startled, I lose my balance and that millimeter space closes into my first kiss! Our lips meet and the fireworks keep shooting up in the background. I see the fireworks shine in her eyes, lighting up my life. I can't move, totally mesmerized. I want to keep looking in her eyes. I feel her tiny hands nudging against my weight. When I don't move, she finally closes her eyes, breaking the spell. It all happened so fast. I roll off her to lie next to her. I can see her red face and feel mine too. We don't speak, rather just look at the beautiful firework show, pretending as if nothing happened.

When the sky turned black, she awkwardly stands up and walks away from me before I could say anything.

"Wait!" I run after her and hold her hand. She immediately jerks off my hand and replies without any emotion in her voice, ignoring facing me, "We are done, don't follow me!"

Where has the shy girl with soft eyes gone? Just few minutes back, I saw her eyes light up for a moment, her heart raced like mine. I know she felt what I felt in that moment. What's the use of denying and running away?

"No!" I say as I run in front of her, blocking her way and forcing her to face me.

She finally looks at me and asks, defeatedly, "What do you want?"