Prologue

My gift has really developed throughout the years of relentless practice. My grandfather's guesses about my gift was correct from the day I was born, though naturally, it has progressed over time.

It was obvious that I had the opposite of my parents gift— the ability to put my thoughts into other people's mind, and also the immunity to "shields," as they call people like my mother. I could get through my mothers shield very easily to show her my thoughts.

Though, I am proud to say that I can officially block my father from my mind more effectively than I could ever imagine. Of course, I must concentrate on building and sustain a mental barrier. When I finally managed to do this I couldn't believe it. It shocked all of us, and it especially angered my father. I had managed to activate a gift similar to my mothers.

I just got so sick of my father tapping into my brain and how I always outed myself for stunts I pulled behind my parents back.

And, my latest accomplishment, I've been able to activate is the reason why I think my parents would even consider letting me go off and travel without them. My grandfather said that this should've been impossible considering his studies with my chromosomes and its relations to Alice's gift--whatever that means.

But after all of the time I've spent with Alice shopping, she grew aggravated of the constant headache I caused her for not being able to see a clear future when I'm around. She told me she could handle it, but I hated seeing her so helpless.

To help Alice, I did something like I did with my father but the opposite. Instead of building a shield I focused on this much bigger, heavier internal shield I found in my mind. The good thing about this shield was that when I managed to break it down, it stayed off for way longer than the one I built for my father stayed up.

It's quite interesting, my father's shield was easier to make but harder to keep up, but Alice's shield was difficult to break, and it stayed broken easily without my concentration. Though, I must "rebreak" it every once in awhile, but that has never been a problem.

Now Alice can see my close future just as good as any other person, however she can't see so far into my future. I always wonder why. My family doesn't seem to wonder about it as much as I do. Maybe it has something to do with the time limitations of my mind-made shield.

My grandfather and my father warn me to not go in my mind and start breaking and making random shields. They say it can be dangerous, especially since I'm "not mature" and still in the early stages of my life.

Anyways, despite my families cautions, I think I know my mind better than anyone. I knew which each shield I've discovered could do, for the most part.

Experimenting with my gift began when my family moved out of my birth town, Forks, a few years after my birth. We are currently... non-existent to common society.

Of course, Jake and his pack and my grandpa Charlie and Sue knew we were still close by. But to the other residents in Forks, my parents had moved down south do be closer to my grandma Renee.

Boy, that was a fat lie. We didn't even move south, we went farther up north. If that was even possible.

We were currently nomads in British Columbia. Note there was nothing British, nor Colombian about it.

How I wished I could be in actual Colombia, or any where near tropical weather.

My parents do take me to visit my grandmothers Island near the equator. It is amazing and so warm. However, I do enjoy the scenery, here in Canada. My dad takes us "camping" all over the National Parks and reserves.

Though, it's not really camping, since they don't really sleep, and my father seems to rent the most beautiful, yet cozy "cabins" along the Canadian coasts. We move every couple of months. It would be cool if I had a little more company.

Jake does come every once in a while, whenever he can. He is my comfort in all this nomadic chaos. My parents are amazing though. They do all they can to make this process easier for me. They want to wait till I'm full grown to settle down into a more "permanent" residence. Which makes sense. I'm still growing, faster than the average human being. But it has significantly slowed down.

One year after my birth I looked relatively like a 4 year old average human. Each year after that I seemed to have grown 2 human years, according to my grandfather Carlisle's calculations. My hormones seemed to be developing at the same rate as my physical growth, or so they tell me. When I was actually four years old, I looked and had the hormones of adolescence, hence my sudden outbursts of theatrical dramatics and fits I was throwing, says my father.

I think he's exaggerating, but he correlates it with the move and changes that we were going through in my life at the time. I don't object. We had then decided to move out Forks, and away from my family and my best friend, Jacob. The rest of the Cullens had decided to move to the outskirts of Winnipeg. Way more places to shop than Forks, Alice had assured me in relief.

As much as I would've wanted to go live with them, I'm glad my father had read my mind about how much I was going to miss my best friend. He said that we would travel non-stop for a couple of months at a time along the coast of Canada, making it easy for Jake to visit whenever he'd like, and every once in a while, go to Winnipeg. Which, for my fortune, is often for both. Until recently, I suppose.

My parents are amazing company, but I feel like I'm third wheeling at times. They are sorta recently married and everything. Gah. It makes me laugh, when I think about being born when they would've still been on their honeymoon. Good timing Nessie.

It was only a couple months after I figured out how to let Alice see my future, and I let my best girl friend convince me to ask my parents to go to South America with her...