Chapter 2

My eyes popped open wide and quickly flipped out of bed and looked for my sandals.

My father chuckled and dashed out the door, myself following closely behind.

I didn't stop running until I hit the tall boulder of a man walking through the front door.

Jake theatrically stumbled backwards and fell on his bottom.

"Drama Queen." I teased.

"Look who's talking, Miss 'If you don't visit me soon, I'm going to throw myself off the balcony'" he quoted the latest email I had sent him.

I scratched my chin. "I don't recall."

Jake smirked and embraced me into a giant bear-hug.

Jake visited me a couple days every few weeks or so ever since we began our Nomadic life along the Canadian west coast. He was my biggest supporter, and always defended me from my mother and father when I got caught-up and scowled at.

One example would be how when I met Jennifer. He didn't like Jennifer much either, but he still told my parents to lay off and hear me out.

I knew he'd back me up when I mentioned I wanted to travel. He's always on my side.

"Hey Jake, how was the run?" My mother asked coming from the master bedroom with a robe on. She had just showered; her hair was dripping.

"What's up, Bells. It was great. Didn't get almost hit by an avalanche this time." He took a burgundy V-neck out of his small backpack and slid it over his head. My parents insists on him bringing extra changes of clothes.

I smiled up at Jake. We were basically almost the same age now. Though he looked way older than I did, mainly due to his height, I suppose. My 7th birthday was in a couple of months and I will officially be sixteen years old. Jake told me he technically stopped aging at the age of sixteen when he first shifted.

I always tease him that one day I'm going to be older than him, since my mother was almost nineteen when she turned.

My grandfather assumes that is the age I'll reach maturity, and Jennifer agrees. Her mom was around twenty when she was born and she has grown approximately at that age.

I checked my phone for the time. It was almost midnight. Jake always came in the most random times, but always came as frequently as possible, or so he claims. It helps that he is the Alpha, he can just assign Leah in charge while he's away. But it's kind of weird how he doesn't come as much as he used to.

My parents say he shouldn't neglect his pack, maybe he's beginning to listen to them. Though I didn't quite understand the need of patrolling so much, after all, there was no vampires in town anymore since the my family left. But I do understand he is sometimes delayed when they sense vampires passing by and isn't able to visit for a couple weeks. Despite it all, I'm very glad I get to see him often. He's my best friend.

Jakes stomach rumbled and we all noticed. "I guess I should've ate something before leaving."

I rolled my eyes, "Come on, Jake." I lead him to the kitchen.

"When's the last time you ate human food, Ness?" He noticed my exceptionally pale complexion. He was counting back in his head, trying to recall the last time I ate in front of him, surely.

"Aw, shut up about that. I am perfectly fine, I went hunting today." When ever I went a long period of time without human food, my skin turns really pale. I guess it's part of being a hybrid.

"Nessie, you shouldn't starve your human side," Jake frowned as I pulled out a loaf of bread from the pantry. Despite my reluctance of eating, my father always keeps the kitchen stocked up.