Stranger

2. STRANGER

My steps thundered throughout the house. I darted from room to room, grabbing any necessities I could find. After so many years of training for this very event, my mind went into a mode that didn't allow panic to set in.

I tossed materials by the front door; firewood, blankets, any food that would last. My heart galloped as I stood still for a moment, surveying the family room one last time.

The house was dark and drafty, like many in the colony. It was not a house of my family, or it wouldn't have been if my grandparents hadn't claimed it when the colony was first founded after the Chaos. It still felt wrong, like we were violating those who lived there before, back when the possibility of being eaten alive didn't keep people locked inside. There were never any parties here, never any reunions. I know these words; I knew what they meant and how to spell them. But they held no meaning to me. I couldn't even remember the last time I'd eaten cake.

A thud from upstairs jerked me from my thoughts and I flew to the front foyer, taking the steps two at a time. My hand gripped the bannister tightly as I flung myself down the left hallway, heading towards the bedroom Mom and I shared.

The door was cracked, letting flickering candle light dance out onto the cold wood floor. I pushed into our room, sadness tugging at the bottom of my stomach.

She sat in a crumpled heap on the floor, her upper body struggling to push herself upright. I rushed to her side and helped her into a sitting position.

"It's happening." Her eyes conveyed the terror she tried to conceal with her voice and I simply nodded. We'd dreaded this day since I could comprehend what it meant. For us, it was not just the creatures that hindered our ability to survive. My mom was a weakness to herself.

A horse had ripped away her ability to walk when she was a few years younger than I was. My father had convinced her to have children once they were married, promising he'd be there to watch over us all. I truly believe he meant it when he said it. Unfortunately he was taken from us as quickly as a hoof cracking a spinal cord.

"We're going to be fine." The lie fell from my mouth like a dead moth and I didn't think for a moment my mother believed me. She'd been telling me similar lies since I could walk.

I heaved her small frame back onto the bed and crossed the room to the closet. It was empty aside from a small pile of shared clothes on the floor. I grabbed a pair of pants and two sweaters before returning to her. She looked up at me for a long moment, her gray eyes calculating.

"Kyle," She whispered in a tone that was almost chastising. I felt my insides clench and tears sting the back of my eyes. I knew what was coming. I knew it was best and I knew it was wrong to feel a small flutter of relief.

"Mom," I whimpered before diving into her chest and holding her impossibly close to me. She murmured comforting words and rocked me, stroking my impossible curls smooth. She smelled of vanilla and sunshine, like always. It comforted me, even in that moment of desperation and agony.

"I have lived a long life," She said, more to herself than me. "I've loved with all my heart and have had it lost. I've had a family. A beautiful girl who makes me proud to be a mother. But I'm tired of this life, Kyle," I pulled back slightly to look at her, my vision blurry with tears. "I'm ready," She sounded so serene- so happy.

We sat together for another few minutes before the siren became too much and I pulled away. While I gathered some of my things she talked me through things I already knew. We reviewed which plants were okay to eat, how to find my bearings and to never eat the snow. Always melt it. She repeated that over and over. A death from freezing inside out raised the hair on my arms.