Chapter 1 - Silence

A cold, chilling night entered Station Square. That was when everything became silent. The winds were still there, but they didn't rustle the leaves as they did before. The silence moved on. People stepped silently across sidewalk. Nobody spoke a word to one another. The silence moved on. Store lights turned off one by one by one. The silence moved on.

The eery silence suddenly echoes throughout the hospital. Stalking through the waiting rooms, whispering through the hallways. It soars. Until, it finally reaches his triangular ears. He hears it, and is thankful for it. It gives him time to reflect.

Why did this happen, he thought to himself.

————

Eggman aimed the Egg Laser at his sworn enemy's head, and fired. Seconds felt like hours, milliseconds even shorter. In that moment, he knew it was over. If anything, the laser would put him in a coma. Sonic stood there waiting for the pain to hit him. None came. That's when he heard it.

He heard a high pitched scream, followed by a soft thud. Sonic slowly opened his eyes. He saw him. His pupils dilated. The doctor laughed, he screamed.

"TAILS!"

————

He remains motionless. From the chair he sat in, he forces his eyes to move across the room. He felt guilt take control of his body.

————

Eggman laughed, Tails lied against the grass unconscious. Sonic's attitude switched into "protective older brother" mode. To say he was pissed was laying it lightly.

The hedgehog suddenly moved, his legs in a running motion. He formed himself into a tight ball, and spin dashed straight at the Eggmobile.

"HOW DARE YOU!!!" the ball screamed as it came contact with the machine. Eggman screamed as he was launched.

"I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!"

Sonic quickly turned ran back to the unconscious, two-tailed fox...

————

There lie his little brother. Golden, furred head covered in rough, white and reddish bandages. His muzzle was attached to a ventilator, helping him breathe.

————

The speed demon sprinted into Station Square hospital, holding Tails closely in his chest. An older, human doctor immediately ran up, before Sonic could say anything. The doctor kneeled down, and looked over the poor fox, closely.

"I'll see what I can do," the doctor said before Sonic reluctantly handed over his brother, as the doctor ran to the emergency wards.

Sonic could only watch, as fresh tears of fear washed down his muzzle.

————

That was when the voices in his head began to speak.

"It should be you in that bed..."

"He hates you..."

"You were to slow..."

One by one, the cobalt hedgehog's tears fell into the already existing puddle beneath him. He didn't move, speak, or cry, though. The already existing silence had reigned upon him.

After a while, his cloudy, emerald eyes grew heavy. He began to slip away, slowly. The voices continue though.

"You could've saved him!"

"He'll never forgive you!"

"This is all your fault..."