The Fake Engagement || Tom

Your eyes snap open when you hear the door to your bedroom open, and you immediately feel the pain of a headache.

"Good morning, Y/N!" Your friend Tom says as he throws back the curtains, sending light spreading throughout the room.

You cringe, shutting your eyes. "Is it?" You ask.

"Something wrong?" He asks, standing in front of your bed. He was fully awake, dressed, and ready to go. But you wondered why he was in your house.

"Headache. Hangover." You rub your eyes, and Tom lets out a breath. What's his problem?

"What is THAT?" He asks, not out of anger, but more out of surprise and wonder.

"What's what?" You ask, sitting up to properly look at him.

Tom takes your left hand gently, and that's when you remember the ring. It wasn't what it looked like, though. You weren't engaged. You weren't even dating anyone. Last night you were given a ring you had left at your best friends house, and as a (drunk) joke, you put it on your ring finger so men would be less likely to bother you.

It wouldn't be hard to tell Tom it was a joke normally, but your relationship with both him and some other guy was a tad bit complicated. Tom was convinced you were head over heels in love with Liam, but you were certain there was a connection between you and Tom. Tom guessed that you and Liam were secretly dating, and he always playfully teased you about him. He was just so arrogant about the whole thing, but you had no clue why.

"Did he propose?" Tom asks. "I mean, you've been hiding your relationship for a while now."

Unsure of what to say, you just stare at him. It was obvious you were going to object and tell him the truth, but would he actually even believe you? Then an idea crosses your mind. A mean idea. You decide to just go along with it for a few minutes to see how he reacts.

"That's incredible, Y/N, I'm so happy for you," a small smile appears on his face as he puts a gentle hand on your shoulder. "I had a spontaneous trip planned for us today, but I understand if you're busy."

"Yeah. Um, thank you. Is it okay?"

"I'm not angry," he insists. "I mean, you kept it a secret for so long, but I'm not angry. So yes to the trip, or no?"

"Well, yeah, okay."

"Perfect. You get dressed, okay? Is it alright if I wait in the car?" He asks.

"Yeah. Sure."

He leaves your room, and you sigh. "I'm such an awful person..." You mumble before getting up and quickly throwing on clothes. Being careful not to move too fast so you don't worsen your headache, you make your way downstairs and to where Tom has the car parked. You don't get in immediately, seeing as though he hasn't seen you yet. You just watch him for a few seconds, standing in your doorway. He's staring straight ahead, tightly gripping the steering wheel. Gripping it so tightly his knuckles are white and strained. A light frown is on his face, and you wonder why. Could it be because of your "news", or something else? You decide to ask him. You finally completely shut the door, causing Tom to relax his body as he glances up at you, thinking you just came out. A smile comes to his lips, but it didn't seem to reach his eyes. You knew him way too well to know if he was fake-smiling or not. 'I think I should tell him the truth,' you decide.

"Can I see it?" Tom asks as you seat yourself and buckle up.

Biting your lower lip lightly, you hold out your left hand to him and he takes it, observing the ring. It looked like a real diamond, that's for sure. But it definitely wasn't. And the more you watched Tom look at the ring, the more you realized you wanted to someday be wearing HIS ring.

"It's wonderful, Y/N," he says, still smiling his half-smile. "I'll have to meet up with this man of yours sometime."

"Tom," you say lightly. He goes to let go of your hand, but you grip his again. "Tom, this ring was thirty-two dollars."

Tom looks confused. "Thirty-two..? I don't understand."

"It's fake. The ring is fake. And so is my engagement. I put this ring on my own finger last night while consuming alcohol," you explain.

Realization begins to sink in, and Tom just stares at you. "You cock!" He shouts playfully, lightly shoving your shoulder.

"I'm sorry, really, I am!" You say, grinning. "I'm terrible, I know, but it's your fault for thinking I was even WITH Liam in the first place. You should know by now I like you more than him."

Tom glances at you, raising an eyebrow. "Really?"

You squeeze his hand lightly. "Really. And I saw you looking stressed in here, you know." A small smirk toys your lips. "Mind telling me what that was about?"

He smiles, looking down at his lap for a second, and then back to you. "Well, as terrible as this sounds, I was incredibly jealous that Liam managed to propose to you before I did."

"Aw, Tommy boy..." You coo lightly, pulling him in for a small kiss on his cheek. It makes him blush lightly, which makes you blush lightly. "I'm sorry... You know that, right?" You ask, your hand going to his shoulder.

"I know," he says. "And... You know I like you, right?"

You stare at him for a bit. "Well I know now." You slip the ring off of your finger and put it into your pocket before giving him a warm smile. "So where are we going?"

He grins in return. "Somewhere special. And if I have your permission, we can call it a date."

"A date?" You ask, smiling.

He nods. "I've got to start trying to win your heart before Liam does, after all."

You laugh lightly, loving how often he can make you smile, blush, laugh, and your heart skip a beat.

"Believe me, Tom. I think you've already got a better chance than he does. So it's a date."

He smiles; a true smile. A true smile that makes him show all of his teeth, and makes the sides of his eyes crinkle. A smile that you think for a moment you've already fallen in love with.

"Wonderful," he says. Then he starts up the car, and heads towards the destination of your first date with Tomas Hiddleston.