The Lying Hour Part 4

“Sometimes the past is dirtier than we remember.” Quote of the chapter.

Loki takes on the disguise as one of the agents in the room. There were many gadgets and machinery plugged into long square white objects merged into the plainly blue wall. There were several windows that had luxurious beautiful curtains. There were phones, computers, and two advanced boards occupying the room. There were people using the computers.

It seemed odd to Loki; at first.

Didn’t this room have nothing but a couch?, Loki thought as he stood near a window.

“Are you new here?”

 Loki looks to his left, and  saw this unusual man. How unusual is this man? He’s wearing a plaid polo shirt, ear muffs ,and  a unusual pair of jeans. The unusual man did not seem to fit into the scenery with all the official apparent agents. Apparently this disguise wasn’t one of the agents in the room.

“Guess you are.” The unusual man said, after he got no reply from Loki. “We got a call twenty minutes ago from the ‘so-called’ ice-pick killer saying he wants to speak with Agent Horatio Kang. And standing there by the window is like a chameleon trying to hide by a freezer.”

“Who?” Loki asks, acting as though he didn’t know who this person was.

“Agent Kang is the FBI agent who put up a hefty  .  .  . “ The unusual man said but he is interrupted by Loki.

“Bulletin board?” Loki suggests.

“Something like that.” The unusual man said.  “He and his partner almost got him during a chase. Can you believe it?  They were practically a street corner away from him! We would have got him if it wasn’t for NCIS messing it up.”

“I can believe it.” Loki said.

“And then this lady came in and reopened the case.” The unusual man adds, animatedly. “I thought it was false alarm until the call came in.”

“And why are you here?” Loki asks.

“I’m from the Behavior Analysis Unit.” The unusual man said.  “His behavior was unexpected.” Loki raised an eyebrow at him. “Everyone the Ice-Pick killer had died, except .  .  .”

“Agent Kang.” Loki said.

The unusual man nodded

“He kept at it on the side during his investigations.” The Unusual man said. “His partner, the one who had been there during the case, sadly got killed in action. We only learned the killer’s first name on his 16th murder victim, in a verse beside their body, written in their own.  .  . “

“I get it.” Loki said, with a shudder. It truly disgusted him what mortals did to each other, but, at least they were punished for their crimes under the justice system. “He went under the profile and continued killing.”

The unusual man  raises his eyebrows.  

“You read the case files?” The Unusual man asks.

“No.” Loki said. “I’ve been filled in about the murder spree in the suburbs that happened five years ago, in New York.”

Hours ago—before Loki came to Kevin--, Loki did some digging about cases on the unsolved  New York crimes website. That site was only available to law enforcement but Loki had a little help getting through the walls.

“That’s pretty specific.” The Unusual man said.

“I take no chances going into a case with a serial killer who just returned from a long ‘no murder’ drought.” Loki said, in a convincing tone that made his lie sound believable. “And I never have seen a open window with a bird staring at us; during this conversation.”