Chapter Twenty-One

"Bianca?" I called out, completely dumbfounded.

"Oh, come on now. Don't look so surprised." Bianca rolled her eyes and took a step forward. She placed an air kiss on my cheek before pushing me out of the way and entering my house.

"What... are you doing here?" I carefully asked as I watched her scan my living room. She suddenly stilled. Her eyes widened a little. She looked completely terrified.

I heard a low snarl from the floor and saw Shadow in a very defensive position. His sharp teeth were bare. It was so rare to see him this furious.

"Kenna... Get rid of your mutt." Bianca gritted the words through her teeth.

I heavily sighed before walking back inside, closing the door behind me. "Come here, Shadow."

Shadow was still angrily growling when I picked him up. He scoffed briefly. Pumunta ako sa pinto at naisip na ilagay muna siya sa labas. I brought him down near the decorative plant pot near the doorway.

"Dito ka lang muna, okay?" I ordered. He whimpered as if understanding what I said. I rubbed his head and sighed again before re-entering the house.

Natagpuan ko si Bianca na iniisa-isa ang picture frames na naka-display. Her arms were crossed as she continued looking snootily at the interior of my living room.

I watched her for a while. She didn't change much aside from her height. Her hair was black and straight, parted in the middle like a reigning beauty queen. Her fitted sleeveless top hugged her curves and her shorts emphasized her supermodel legs, putting mine to shame. She was beautifully sunkissed compared to my fair and pale-looking skin.

"Anong ginagawa mo dito, Bianca?"

She stopped from observing my place and faced me with a wide smile that looked to superficial.

"Is it a crime to see how's my stepsister doing?"

I find that hard to believe. Isang beses pa lang nakapunta si Bianca sa bahay ko. Huling punta niya ay nung pina-blessing namin itong bahay. Kasama niya si Mama at ang kanyang Daddy. That's... years ago.

"May nakapagsabi na ba sa'yo na you have serious trust issues?" She rolled her eyes. "I was around the area visiting a friend, so I thought of you and decided to pay you a visit."

Napakagat ako sa labi. "Sorry. Hindi lang ako sanay pero okay naman ako."

"That's good." Ngumisi siya. She fixed her stance. Wala siyang plano umupo, ibig sabihin hindi siya magtatagal. "So where are you spending your Christmas? Pupunta kasi kami nila Mommy sa Pagudpud to spend the Holidays. I'm telling you this as a favor, just in case maisipan mo na dumaan sa bahay, to save you the trip."

Parang kinurot ang puso ko. The family is going on a Christmas vacation somewhere and there's no sign of an invitation in her statement. Wala rin namang nabanggit sa akin si Mama. I guess I'm just simply not invited.

"Oh," 'yon lang ang nasabi ko.

Huminga nang malalim si Bianca. It was a happy sigh. She looked at her phone, maybe checking the time.

"Well, look at the time. I have places to go and people to meet. This was such a nice and pleasurable visit." She walked past by me again, opening the door.

Sumunod naman ako sa kanya palabas. Wala nang gana dahil sa ibinalita niya sa akin. She was halfway to the gate when she suddenly stopped. Pati ako ay napatigil sa paglakad.

Inalis ko ang mga mata sa likod niya at lutang na tumingin sa harapan para malaman kung bakit siya napahinto.

Napauwang ang mga labi ko nang makita si Saint na buhat-buhat si Shadow. Nawala sa isip ko na pupunta siya sa bahay dahil sa biglaang pagdating ni Bianca.