Pt. 4

The next day I wake up to my alarm clock beeping loudly in my right ear. I hear a few raps on my door. "Come in..." I notice how ragged and tired my voice sounds. I sit up and rub my eyes.

They itch.

Paige strides in and throws clothes on the foot of my bed. She heads into my bathroom because we all know that mine is the best. It's the one with the warmer water, and it's also less salty.

I can hear Gold clambering down the stairs with a cowbell, screaming, "BREAKFAST!!" My eyes sag and I slowly get up. I practically almost fall to the floor, all the blood rushing to my head. I stagger for a few seconds and hear my bathroom door creak open. A pair of feet are scuttering over towards me and a hand steadies my shoulder. I hear Piper gnawing on his cage in the next room. He's almost too loud.

I look over and see Paige smiling at me. I smile back and saunter over to where she placed my clothes. Then I hear Sadie and Gold yelling about Piper. I don't know which Piper. There's Piper, Gold's bunny, then there's human Piper, who is in the club.

I scratch my head and drag my half asleep body into the bathroom. I step over Jade's vet papers. I start the hot shower and it fogs up the mirror. I smile at myself and draw a picture of a smiley face. I put the QWL initials in the right-hand corner and lean on the marble sink. I start to draw my favorite, and most loved, horse-best friend Jade. Then I hear something fall downstairs and it hits the floor hard. I hear a few shouts followed by laughs. It's obvious someone fell, and I can hear Sadie guffawing. I hurry up and get dressed, brushing my hair lazily and flattening out my clothes, completely forgetting the shower.

I quietly creep down the stairs and I look to the right. The dining room table is filled with breakfast foods, while on the left the living room TV is on. Someone is watching jockeys. I sigh and turn myself into the dining room. I see that Gold still lays on the floor by the wall, and Sadie is struggling to take in breaths. I roll my eyes and step over Gold's limp legs. I stare at her for a few seconds and break out laughing. I then yell,

"HELP! GOLD HAS FALLEN AND CANNOT GET UP!" Sadie laughs even harder and I fall to the floor. Gold dramatically sighs and puts her hand to her forehead.

"Help, I'm a grandma and I can't get up!" Paige then walks into the room. I have enough strength to stop laughing and look over at her. She is leaning on her left foot, and her arms are crossed. She sighs and walks over to Gold and helps her up. Gold leans against the wall and takes in fast gasps of air. I stroll over to the kitchen while Paige, Sadie, and Gold make conversation.

I look around and there is some orange juice on the counter. I celebrate in my head and walk over to it. My bare feet slap against the cold, tile floor and I take out a cup from a top cabinet. I pour myself a glass of orange juice. I walk over to the dining room. Gold is still leaning against the wall, wavering a little. I pull out a chair, sit down, and take a plate from the middle of the table.

I fill my plate with a bunch of food. Gold sits down.

"Eggs, bacon, pancakes, waffles, oh my!" she exclaims. She looks at all the food excitedly. Her eyes wander to the toast that is dipped in eggs. She skips the bacon and scowls at it. Paige pulls out a chair beside me, while Gold is cringing at the sausage. Paige gives her a worried stare, then starts to fill her plate. I hear Sadie opening and closing cabinets in the kitchen. Sadie ambles into the dining room and sets the orange juice in the middle of the table. I then hear a fwoop, signaling that there is a delivery, and Sadie goes to get the daily mail. Gold stuffs her face with food, again.

Paige finishes up her breakfast and goes back upstairs. I hear Gold inhaling her food and glance up from my own plate. Her nostrils are flared as she takes in all the food her mouth can hold at once. My eyes widen and I look at my own plate. I eat slowly, peeking every now and then to look at Gold. She takes more food and piles it on her plate. I get up and push my plate away, still food on it. Gold stares at me.